Thread: Feeling awful on these medications

Feeling awful on these medications

So for some time I've been taking my medications regular. My mental health is much better these days.

But, the side effects from them are uncomfortable. I take them around 9pm before bed and I'm asleep before 12am. The following day I feel sick, I have crohn's like symptoms and bowel movements. the night sweats are terrible. I've had to buy a waterproof mattress protector.

I can live with the side effects because it's much better than the mental torture I end up when I don't take them.

Just wanted to know if there's anybody else is affected by their meds and is there any natural medications that can alleviate the side effects?

I tried to get an urgent appointment with my doc 2 weeks ago. I had a very bad blip. It was impossible to get anybody to see me because I still don't have a doctor. Just stuck on this angry patient scheme. I was told to go to A&E if I'm that bad, which is useless I've done that malarkey many times before.

I'm on quetiapine, valium, promazine and paroxetine,

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Re: Feeling awful on these medications

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    Just wanted to know if there's anybody else is affected by their meds and is there any natural medications that can alleviate the side effects?

...I'm on quetiapine, valium, promazine and paroxetine,
    It's difficult James because some of these meds are working against others. The Valium (diazepam) is particularly problematic, imo, when on paroxetine. The problem is if you remove one the whole house of cards may fall apart. Do you live near a teaching hospital with a psychiatry department? If so, there might be a way of scoring an appointment with the professor from the linked university.

I suggest you discuss the side-effects with a chemist/pharmacist. Not sure what can be done about the bowel, but there are topical preparations which may ease the night sweats.

Hey PDU, hope you're well mate.

Now I'm settled on them once and for all, I don't want to mess with them. Things are going the right way in life for once and disrupting my meds could send me backwards.

That's a great idea about the University. I do have a few around here. I may look into that.

The pharmacist suggested taking them at night time, and also said the sweating is typical and not much can be done about it. I don't fall asleep in the daytime any more, which is good news that side effect was annoying. I guess it could be worse. Got to take the rough with the smooth

Do people have to take these meds for life?

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    Hey PDU, hope you're well mate.
    Do reasonably okay for an old geezer, James, though my doctor might not agree. She's taken to examining each of my organs in turn lately ordering every available test known to medical science. I'm waiting for her to get to my brain. That will really blow her mind!

Now I'm settled on them once and for all, I don't want to mess with them. Things are going the right way in life for once and disrupting my meds could send me backwards.
    Very understandable.

The pharmacist suggested taking them at night time, and also said the sweating is typical and not much can be done about it.
    Small 1mg doses of the blood pressure medication terazosin (Hytrin) have been shown to significantly reduce SSRI induced sweating, as has oxybutynin (Ditropan) which is prescribed for overactive bladders, but I suspect doctors would be reluctant to prescribe them. Gabapentin and pregabalin are sometimes prescribed for menopausal hot flashes/flushes and night sweats, but adding another psychoactive med is not a good idea, imo.

I don't fall asleep in the daytime any more, which is good news that side effect was annoying. I guess it could be worse. Got to take the rough with the smooth
    Trouble is life often gives us far more rough than smooth.

Do people have to take these meds for life?
    Unfortunately, many do, me included. Both meds and therapy are treatments, not cures. That said, remissions are far from rare and sometimes they last longer than the person, so your circumstances are by no means hopeless, James. They also seem to improve to with age.

Thread Information