Thread: Pancreatic cancer sooóo scared

Pancreatic cancer sooóo scared

Hello everyone
    Sorry for the long post I am new here and need some support and advice.
    I am a 39 year old female, previously healthy, no cancer of any kind on my family from both sides. I am not from the UK by the way.
    It all started in October 2022.
    I started to have nasty hot flushes at night, first thought it could be early menopause but my hormonal profile wwas perfectly normal (now I think that the hot flushes could be related to cancer but I don't know if there was any known association).
    Later I started to have digestive disturbances over the next months: vague abdominal pain, flatulence, recurrent bouts of mild diarrhea, excessive burping.
    By the end of November I have had a CT scan, ultrasound and lots of blood and stool tests, all came back normal. I was told this could be IBS.
    I then had colonoscopy in January because of increased abdominal pain and an attack of severe diarrhea..It was also normal. After colonoscopy, the pain almost disappeared and I accepted that I may have diarrhea due to IBS and became less worried about it.

I started to become worried about (burping) and found it could be caused by stomach, esophageal or pancreatic cancer.
    I had EGD in February that ruled out esophageal and stomach cancers. The remaining possibility was PC. At that time I only had burping, flatulence and some irregularity in stools but no color change or floating stool.
    In the middle of March I started to have upper/mid back pain not related too movements or position (PC alarm) then few weeks later I got severe upper abdominal pain after meals, pain under left breast and pain where the gallbladder lies The pain was severe most of the time, became progressively worse to the extent it became intolerable. No painkiller could relieve the pain.Only when I sleep I don't get pain.
    I had a new CT scan with IV contrast triphasic protocol and chest CT and I asked for special comment on pancreas (as I do these tests in private medical centers) ..The scan came back clear.
    I took second and third opinions from consultant radiologists, one of them is essentially GI radiologist ..all confirmed that they didn't see anything suspicious!!
    I then had the Ca19-9 and CEA tests ..they came back normal (but higher than the previous values ).
    Now I booked an MRI scan to be done tomorrow. I don't know what it will find. A small tumor that couldn't be detected by CT ? but can a very small tumor cause all these symptoms? or a large inoperable one (assuming that the CT was not done correctly) ? though I had it done in one of the best centers here !!!I can't think of anything now. Can you just give me some insight?

Re: Pancreatic cancer sooóo scared

None of us can comment medically but blimey you have had a lot of tests/scans and all are clear.

Do you suffer with Health Anxiety - is this the reason you are worried?

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I DO have health anxiety. All the time and after each test/scan I start googling about the (false results) of the test and the possibility of missed diagnoses and I certainly find frightening information that make me doubt everything.
    However, the pain I am currently having is unlokely to be caused solely by HA and it fits (along with the other symptoms) with pancreatic cancer.
    I am always thinking of the difficult times coming if I get diagnosed with this (monster) and how I am going to lose myself slowly to death , how devastated my family are going to be, how my little nephews and niece will forget me ( though I feel lucky that I don't have kids of my own)....I can't help crying all the time and only sleep after taking medications for anxiety and depression.
    I hope this suffering ends soon.

I am not saying the pain isn't real but they would have found something serious by now with all those tests so you need to be reassured by that.

You are not living life at the moment worrying over something that is really unlikely to happen.

Only you can stop the suffering I am afraid to say.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

My life has been on pause since I started to feel ill (7 months ago) I am not living anymore.I wish I could just believe that I don't have this dreadful disease and go on with life but I can't .I will be having MRI today to rule out PC I hope this is the last thing I have to do.

Quote Originally Posted by scaredfromPC View Post
    It is definite now that I have an extreme form of health anxiety. Can anyone help with that ?
    The best help is the help you give yourself.

See the link in my signature too.

FMP
    Last edited by Fishmanpa; 06-05-23 at 14:33.
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

What I will say here is that anxiety really can make you feel there is something wrong. In 2018 I was totally convinced I had congestive heart disease. I had a resting ECG and stress ECG at the hospital, both normal. Anxiety is a bully and a liar.

With all those tests you've had, you do not have PC 110%

I took a second opinion..Unfortunately PC can't be excluded on CT and MRI only. More workup is still needed...No peace of mind anytime 😭😭😭😭

Thread Information