Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Loss of sense of smell for over two weeks

Loss of sense of smell for over two weeks

Well, sadly I'm back here :(

A few weeks ago I developed a really horrible cold-like chest infection thing: the worst part of which came about midway when I was wheezing so badly at night the noise kept me awake for two nights. That was coupled with other things that just led to a Sunday From Hell (and lost earnings). But no real sneezing, no really bad cough, no fever. Just "one of those viruses", which others seem to have had - anybody here, for example?

The most unpleasant (and if I'm honest, distressing) thing though is that for two weeks or so I've not had any sense of smell whatsoever - not even the faintest hint of it. My nose does feel like it's congested or even swollen inside and (very) occasionally bleeds a little from the left nostril, but no sense of pain or irritation.

Why 'distressing', you may ask? Well, believe it or not a keen sense of smell can be useful in my job, but also no smell means food and drink - something I get great pleasure from - has become rather a 'meh' experience. However, and here's the crucial bit - the loss of a sense of smell was one of the first indicators that my sister-in-law had developed Parkinsonism and I'm terrified that the same is going on here.

Has anybody else here experienced this, before I try and see the vet?

Re: Loss of sense of smell for over two weeks

I very much doubt it’s linked to Parkinson’s…you have a virus, that’s what it’s linked to.

Have you had a covid test btw?

There are loads of really stinking viruses about now. We had a bad once a couple of weeks back and lo and behold my other half has picked up another one already.

It will get better as these things do, in their own time. We just have to suffer in the meantime.

Ghost…Spillways

Sounds like Covid to me.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Re: Covid tests - I'm always bothered that I don't "do them properly", but I did two spaced a couple of weeks apart and both were negative.

To be honest, I too thought "is this Covid?" given the odd nature of the illness, but the tests - such as they are - say otherwise.

If it was Covid (I've never had it), I'm surprised it was so... uneventful?

My eldest son had covid and repeatedly produced negative tests. But covid is not the beast it was, at least for non compromised people. I had it about a year ago, it was nothing really. In fact the anxiety was worse…the fact that I’d produced a positive test after all that time and I knew I finally got ‘it’.

It may or may not have been covid but it’s definately some virus or other that will work it’s way out of you in its own good time.

Ghost…Spillways

I've knowingly had Covid twice, the first time the lateral flow test was repeatedly negative but a PCR was positive, the second time the lateral flow test was positive straight away. It does sound like Covid to be honest, but as Darksky says there are a lot of viruses about just now.

Mr C and I have had a virus which is a blocked nose, no sneezing, blocked ears, a cough, loose boughs, loss of smell and taste, no appetite and wheezing when lying down. It's not a cold, it's not flu, it's not covid so it must be a virus of some kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Carnation View Post
    Mr C and I have had a virus which is a blocked nose, no sneezing, blocked ears, a cough, loose boughs, loss of smell and taste, no appetite and wheezing when lying down. It's not a cold, it's not flu, it's not covid so it must be a virus of some kind.
    Oh.

Snap... exactly what I've had/got, to the letter.

How are you both at the moment?

We are both in our 3rd week and it absolutely floored us.
    The coughing seems to be coming from the throat or upper chest area. We do feel better but it's still lingering and it takes it out of you, especially the lack of a good night's sleep.
    We had a little blood from the nose too!
    What about you?

Quote Originally Posted by Carnation View Post
    We are both in our 3rd week and it absolutely floored us.
    The coughing seems to be coming from the throat or upper chest area. We do feel better but it's still lingering and it takes it out of you, especially the lack of a good night's sleep.
    We had a little blood from the nose too!
    What about you?
    I'm probably into my third week (or more) now. It wasn't completely debilitating although I did have a couple of coughing fits at work that really took it out of me a week or two ago. Not sleeping too badly now, although during the day I feel listless and occasionally breathless too - today's not so bad. Not had any nose bleeds for a few days now, likewise the cough has subsided but there's very noticeable post-nasal drip. I often find myself heading for bed during the day but that could just be the depression over it all getting to me.

Like you, the coughing seemed to be definitely trying to shift crap from the upper lungs and throat, but I never had a sore throat: the first indicator things were going wrong were a "peppery" feeling in my nose.

But worst of all, it's the inability to smell. Last week a mouse or a rat got into the kitchen at work and died under the cupboards: people were complaining about the smell and all I could say is "what smell?". I do have some sense of taste but it's altered by the loss of smell.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information