Thread: Raccoon Roundworm

Raccoon Roundworm

This forum helped me so much when I had my last bad bought of health anxiety. I've had numerous short-term health worries since then, but I'm back in a doozy that is really upturned my life.

Two years ago raccoons created a latrine in our yard. Raccoon poop carries a deadly roundworm (take my word, please do not look it up unless there's a raccoon latrine in your yard), and basically, you have to follow CDC guidelines for disposal. Some cities have companies that will do it, but not our city. So, my husband and I did it ourselves. That took a lot to get over. And, guess what - it's happened again! Another latrine. This time it was more poop and had been there longer - the previous incident happened right in front of us, whereas this time, we have no way of knowing how long it had been there. We dealt with it, only to find more deposits a couple weeks later. Each time though, my fear of contamination has increased. I'm becoming afraid that every day things - the coat I wore in the yard when I found the latrine, for example - are going to give me this roundworm. I have no idea how I'm ever going to be able to go out in the yard again. I was really sick over the weekend, which has only fuelled my fear that we botched the disposal.

I'm really hoping someone can help me think through this or share their positive raccoon poop experience?

Re: Raccoon Roundworm

Hi,
    I think you have OCD. Sounds like you're obsessive with germs and bacteria. I'd say your fears are irrational and definitely don't worry! X

Thread Information