Thread: Skin reactions to SSRI’s

Skin reactions to SSRI’s

Has or does anyone have the crazy burning skin reactions to SSRI meds, this along with intense hot flashes are just the worst. Love to hear from anyone else who suffers these symptoms/reactions, as I’m struggling to really work it out in my head.

I know to some degree these can be anxiety symptoms, but I’m talking off the scale burning heat and intolerable white hot flashes, which are very scary and uncomfortable??? Any other’s experiences would be welcomed. Thank You

Re: Skin reactions to SSRI’s

I don't get hot flashes, but I can't tolerate heat in the least - I'm living with the fan on all year round.

Re: Skin reactions to SSRI's

Quote Originally Posted by SideFX View Post
    I know to some degree these can be anxiety symptoms, but I'm talking off the scale burning heat and intolerable white hot flashes, which are very scary and uncomfortable???
    It is probably mostly the med, possibly aided by anxiety. Serotonin isn't just a brain neurotransmitter. In fact the brain only makes and uses around 1.8% of the total amount, about the same as found in the skin and its fine blood vessels where it regulates blood vessel tone - constriction and dilation. This is likely the cause of the 'burning' skin and hot flushes as SSRIs can affect these functions. It may be worse in women as estrogen also affects and is affected by serotonin. These side-effects often diminish within a few weeks but can be an ongoing problem for some. Ironically, SSRIs are sometimes prescribed in low doses to treat hot flashes. It all comes down to individual biology. I suggest you talk to your GP about this.

Btw - Serotonergic ADs can also increase skin photo sensitivity so cover up and/or apply a good sunscreen if working outdoors for any length of time.

Re: Skin reactions to SSRI’s

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    I don't get hot flashes, but I can't tolerate heat in the least - I'm living with the fan on all year round.
    Thanks for your response it’s not heat intolerance, it’s within my skin, just like bad sunburn 🥵 I can find online that this can be a reaction to antidepressants and as I’ve tried almost all SSRI’s & SNRI’s and now have this reaction to them all. Never used to have this bad reaction. But seems my body no longer accepts this type of med, which is why if I got really bad I would go down the TCA road. I think they may be kinder on my body now and don’t know why I react the same to all SSRI’s ???? Weird, but Pdoc don’t believe me and I have been mitigating this reaction with pregabalin for the past 6 years !!! Thank you

Re: Skin reactions to SSRI's

Quote Originally Posted by panic_down_under View Post
    It is probably mostly the med, possibly aided by anxiety. Serotonin isn't just a brain neurotransmitter. In fact the brain only makes and uses around 1.8% of the total amount, about the same as found in the skin and its fine blood vessels where it regulates blood vessel tone - constriction and dilation. This is likely the cause of the 'burning' skin and hot flushes as SSRIs can affect these functions. It may be worse in women as estrogen also affects and is affected by serotonin. These side-effects often diminish within a few weeks but can be an ongoing problem for some. Ironically, SSRIs are sometimes prescribed in low doses to treat hot flashes. It all comes down to individual biology. I suggest you talk to your GP about this.

Btw - Serotonergic ADs can also increase skin photo sensitivity so cover up and/or apply a good sunscreen if working outdoors for any length of time.
    Totally agree PDU I am aware the levels of serotonin within the skin and for some these side effects fade. However I’ve battled through and seem to have had this reaction to antidepressants and as I’ve tried almost all SSRI’s & SNRI’s and now have this reaction to them all. Never used to have this bad reaction. But seems my body no longer accepts this type of med, which is why if I get really bad I would go down the TCA road. I think they may be kinder on my body now and don’t know why I react the same to all SSRI’s ???? Weird, but Pdoc don’t believe me and I have been mitigating this reaction with pregabalin for the past 6 years !!! Thank you

Not good having to take one med to help reduce the side effects of another. But to be honest PDU switching AD’s now scares the crap 💩 out of me and what that could lead to. So I’m damned if I do and damned if I don’t. As my quality of life is impaired by this anxious sensation.

I have been trying to taper off pregabalin very very slowly and hit the wall when I can’t down from 600mg to 150mg and I’ve been up dosing and struggling to stabilise again !!!!

It’s all a game of Russian roulette and pull the trigger to see if the sky falls in or not !!!

I will give the slow up dosing regime a chance, before I make what could be a life threatening change. However it would be good to understand how the mechanism of TCA’s action differs from that of SSRI’s & SNRI’s. Do you know the answer as I’ve searched and can’t find a definitive answer anywhere and why can some people tolerate TCA’s and not SSRI’s. It never seems to be the other way round ??? Thanks for your responses

Thread Information