Thread: PTSD in Black Lab

PTSD in Black Lab

Hi guys. OK thought I'd post this in here after an incident around 2 and a half/3 weeks ago. Without running over old ground and cutting a long story short, there has been tension between the wife and our son. Also between wife and daughter but that's another story in a household that resembles a particularly lively episode of Eastenders.

Anyway temperatures reached boiling over and son turned up here with wife-to-be in tow. He asked to see wife who duly got up and came downstairs. The situation escalated quickly before son turned the sofa over and punched a dent in the door between the lounge and kitchen. He then urged wife to take all of her tablets and then left. Oh and she was dead to him.

Had I known this would kick off so quickly, I would have taken our black lab outside. Anyway, she is a rescue dog with an already existing history of anxiety. Since the above, I can't leave her here on her own. This morning I came back from Asda and the kitchen bin was over with contents scattered and plastic 'bags for life' shredded.

I had come in the back door and she didn't know. She was jumping up at the front window, presumably to look for me. Its notable that this behaviour only happens here. At my sister's and my Dad's she's fine.

I've been looking online at ways to help her. Myself and brother have to take my Dad to a mental health assessment on Monday. I think I'll have to take black lab with me and leave her in my Dad's house.

I'm not expecting any magical answers, just sharing.

Re: PTSD in Black Lab

It’s quite possible she only feels safe with you around now. She sees you as her protector and gets distressed when you are absent. This is not entirely surprising with what she witnessed. I imagine if your son came round again, you would see a significant spike in her anxious behaviour. Not that I expect him to.

I’ve not had an anxious dog, not entirely surprising with my breed. So I’m a little out of my depth with advice. I think if one of mine had witnessed that, you would have had fluttering lips and the glisten of teeth. What I do know is, no matter how much you feel like comforting your dog, you mustn’t. It’s reinforcing behaviour. Sort of rewarding anxiety if you see what I mean. Everything must be matter of fact. When she made a mess, just clean it up without comment. That way she knows she’s done nothing wrong. Don’t even make eye contact, she will be watching you to see if you’re angry, sad, worried.

It’s going to be awkward for you when you have to go out shopping etc. Places where you can’t take a dog. And the more you take her with you, the more she will rely on you and not cope when you’re gone. There must be something online. Oh, I just remembered the vets have something called Zylkene or something similar, I can’t think how to spell it but it supposed to be calming. Not a drug, more of a supplement made from milk something or other. Entirely natural. I’ve never tried it but I know someone who gave it to their nervous cat.

Another essay.

Ghost…Spillways

My dog has anxiety. His journey has been a long one, and I won't bore you with it, but he's had problems since I brought him home at 8 weeks, for a handful of reasons. He takes anxiety medication daily and has a script for instances when he may need to do something more stressful (he doesn't take those often, but does sometimes). We did try Zylkene, but it didn't touch his anxiety, though it may for yours so if your vet says it's fine you could give it a go. It's really just a supplement.

It can take time for stress levels to come down. With some more sensitive dogs, it doesn't take many bad events before they develop a negative association and stress increases. If things are rough at home, she probably picks up on that. One thing you can try is decompression activities - long, relaxing walks where you just amble where she wants to go (if possible); sniffing and licking are also both calming for dogs. So sniffing out treats in grass, or licking some food out of a Kong or off a Lickimat.

Best of luck to your girl, it can be hard when they are afraid and we can't just sit down and explain the world to them.
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

Thank you for those extensive replies. for you both. She was a nervous dog when we got her from our son. He had been given her by a builder who apparently wanted rid of her, so we don't know exactly what she's been through. But not much of it good, isn't it a shame they can't talk.

Our son would have had a very different response from my Rottweiler I had years ago Darksky. But our lab is a gentle lady. Its my daily walk around town that's upsetting me the most. Its good therapy for me but I can't see how I can carry on with it.

Is it possible she picks up on my anxiety too? I'm assuming it would be.

What’s she like with your wife? Would she stay with her, although I think she is a one man dog isn’t she?

Ghost…Spillways

Sat here thinking…….You mustn’t give up your daily walk. What I would do is buy a large kong. I used to get the massive black ones but it may be they are too large. What does she like to eat, treat wise? I’m used to stuff mine with sardines, peanut butter, broken up gravy bones, anything she’s obsessed with really. Then freeze it. Otherwise it won’t last 2 minutes. Give it to her when you go out. It would keep mine quiet and content for hours. Also I gave them big marrow bones which they were obsessed with. Although some people like to supervise with bones.

Also, thinking it’s separation anxiety. The usual cure for that is leaving the dog for increasing amounts of time. Leave by the same door as you would normally. No changes in routine. After a minute come back in. Don’t over-fuss her..keep it normal. Over time gradually build up the minutes you leave her. Until she accepts it readily. Give her the king so she associates you going out with getting a treat.

If I think of anything else I let you know

Ghost…Spillways

Quote Originally Posted by fishman65 View Post
    Its my daily walk around town that's upsetting me the most.
    Good grief that makes me sound like a selfish git doesn't it!! I didn't mean it to sound like its all me me me. What I meant was, its an additional upset but secondary to our lab. I like to set a brisk pace and she's getting on now.

She would stay with Mrs F but she'll likely be asleep. She's said she would sit with her. I have to take my Dad to a mental health assessment on Monday at 3pm. Myself and brother are taking him as it needs two now.

Yes she's definitely a one person dog. If we went out and Mrs F was opening the front door, black lab would push past her to get to me.

I don't think you sound selfish, fishman. As they say, you have to put your oxygen mask on first or you're no use to anyone else. And this kind of stuff can be really taxing. A lot of people will say "it's just a dog" but that's not really true, and seeing them upset or having to make additional accommodations to support them can be really difficult. It's like it's own brand of caregiver fatigue.

Now, me, I'd get a big ol' wagon or dog stroller and just push her along. But maybe a bit hard for a larger dog like that, maybe not the most practical of advice! I think Darksky's suggestion of a Kong is a good one. She probably wouldn't have even finished it by the time you come back. And lying down and licking on something is stress relief for her in itself.

I know I've said this before Poppy, but you've got a remarkably astute brand of wisdom for someone of your age

You are too kind, fishman.

I hope your weekend went okay, and that your pup is feeling a bit better.

Thread Information