Thread: Blood test results - elevated tumour marker!!!

Blood test results - elevated tumour marker!!!

Hi all,

I'm an absolute wreck and convinced I'm suffering from an undiagnosed illness based on some private blood test results I've had done recently:

I'm mostly concerned because my LDH level, common tumour marker was 228 IU/L, with the normal range being 138-214.

Other results that were a cause for concern:

White blood cell count - 10.06 x10^9/L, normal 3-10

Phosphate - 1.74 mmol/L, normal 0.87 - 1.45

Transferrin Saturation - 19%, normal 20-55

According to these results I could be suffering from several types of cancer like leukemia or lymphoma, kidney disease or severe types of anemia. The white blood cells along with the LDH tumour marker is terrifying me the most.

For reference I'm aware a minor virus/infection can elevate white blood cells however I haven't had any symptoms of being unwell.

When the private GP phoned me the only result they mentioned was the slightly elevated white blood cell count, but he said it was miniscule and didn't justify a retest.

I'm completely shocked that he didn't address the other elevated results, particularly a tumour marker.

Has anyone had a similar experience to this? I'm so scared to the point that I don't want to eat or sleep. It's completely consumed me and I can't think of anything else.

I'm going to be phoning back today and enquiring more as I was unable to do so when he phoned me yesterday.
    Last edited by DanniDaniDanni; 31-05-23 at 09:23.

Re: Blood test results - elevated tumour marker!!!

I'm curious as to how you're able to interpret these results differently to a doctor. Are you trained to do so?

No I'm not - I think we both guess what I did as soon as I got the results. Know it was a stupid thing to do but couldn't help myself. 😔

Have you phoned the doctor back yet?

Just got off the phone with him.

My results are normal, it's just for the lab's reference to say they're abnormal but the doctor then interprets the results, which is why only my white blood cell was mentioned because that's only what he felt needed bringing up.

He said that the white blood cells just indicate a small virus, even a cold can do it, or even hayfever, nothing to worry about.

The LDH levels aren't anything to worry about because again it's such a small increase, if they were like 1,000+ then he'd be worried. Apparently the time of day you have the test can affect this and whether you've had to fast - which I did cos I had my cholesterol and blood sugar checked.

Transferrin Saturation is low but he said it'd need to be like 10% or lower to need prescription iron tablets, I should be fine just to take over the counter multivitamins. He said the fact I'm vegetarian will have a lot to do with this.

Phosphate he would only be worried if it was 3+, again within the normal range.

I asked if this rendered a repeat test and he said no, but if I was insistent then in 3 months time would be fine.

Thread Information