Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nocturnal Panic Attacks Driving Me Crazy

Nocturnal Panic Attacks Driving Me Crazy

They're getting really bad at the moment, I just want to cry I feel so upset about it.

I'm having multiple per night where I wake up with my heart racing and feeling like I'm dying. I can handle the day time attacks but I can't handle these night time ones. They're awful.

I know I am more stressed recently with the breakup. I am worried about living alone and what if this happens when I move out and nobody is there. How am I going to cope?

I just feel like I'm slipping backwards.

I don't know what to do anymore.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Re: Nocturnal Panic Attacks Driving Me Crazy

When they hit, is it worth getting up for a bit and spending some phone time? It always helps me drift off.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    When they hit, is it worth getting up for a bit and spending some phone time? It always helps me drift off.
    You have them too? I didn't know that. I distract myself by putting the playstation on and playing Fortnite with random people. It helps alot. Last night I had them every hour 3 times in a row and ended up staying awake after the 3rd time and was worried to sleep.

Is distraction the only way to deal with these? I can be feeling good the night I sleep, but they will still happen and the medications don't seem to curb them anymore.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

At the time I think distraction helps, but it’s not the key to successfully dealing with anxiety.
    Sorry you’re having a rough time x

I have them occasionally. I've had one last week and it was so bad, everything was spinning around me and I thought I am gonna pass out so I ran out of my apartment (I live alone) and it was stupid because I could lock myself out in the middle of the night, I was so scared that I will do it again in panic and my cat could run away.
    I am having a rough time with panic attacks lately due to some work circumstances but mostly daily.

Sometimes I woke up in panic and I squeeze my hand very hard and it helps me convince myself that I won't die, I don't know why but it works because when I wake up it feels unreal and that I am dying. Nocturnal are really the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by darlene85 View Post
    I have them occasionally. I've had one last week and it was so bad, everything was spinning around me and I thought I am gonna pass out so I ran out of my apartment (I live alone) and it was stupid because I could lock myself out in the middle of the night, I was so scared that I will do it again in panic and my cat could run away.
    I am having a rough time with panic attacks lately due to some work circumstances but mostly daily.

Sometimes I woke up in panic and I squeeze my hand very hard and it helps me convince myself that I won't die, I don't know why but it works because when I wake up it feels unreal and that I am dying. Nocturnal are really the worst.
    I had another tonight. The problem is snowballing because my sleep is majorly affected. Yes they are the worst.

Sorry you're having to go through this too.

I've thought about making a poster that says "Relax, it's just a nocturnal panic attack" to remind me I'm all good. I've had thousands of these over the last 15 years and they still never get easier to deal with

☪️️

Quote Originally Posted by Scass View Post
    At the time I think distraction helps, but it’s not the key to successfully dealing with anxiety.
    Sorry you’re having a rough time x
    I didn't know you have them too Scass. I'd exchange these sleep anxiety attacks for 10 regular daytime panic attacks anyday

NMP is a good distraction sometimes. Like now.

☪️️

My heart goes out to you. The night time panics are the worst as, as you say, it's not as easy to distract yourself from them and, as I live alone, it's worse as you start to think 'if something bad happens, nobody can help me'.

I especially agree with your point: 'I've had thousands of these over the last 15 years and they still never get easier to deal with' - when you get a panic spike, you think of all the ones you have had before and survived. And then the anxious brain says 'Ahh, but this will be the one that is really bad...this time it's a heart attack.' I wish I knew how to break that cycle.

Bit of a cliche, but do you take medication for them? Something like a beta blocker at bedtime might help keep things in check a bit?

Hey Nicky,

That exactly it, you described them to the T. I live alone too, and they've become bothersome and affects my sleep.

I take 4 different medications for my dodgy brain. They do help, but at the same time the medications can make them worse sometimes.

I've started trying to fall back to sleep immediately when they happen. I've managed to do it a couple of times, and in the morning I completely forget I had one. But those bad ones can linger with you all day and make you feel like there's something serious going on. It's frustrating when you get to the point where you're scared to sleep though.

☪️️

I think living alone really does not help - just having people around can make a difference. When you are left 'alone with yourself', especially at night, there is nobody to help combat the horrible voice of anxiety in your head that seems to hate you and constantly make you fear the worst. I know some people with anxiety / panic cannot take any kind of silence as it sets the thoughts off, so they always have something playing, either to watch or in the background, as a distraction. When it's bad at night, I find YouTube / Twitch helps me personally, and breathing - the sense of another person, even on a screen, can help. And it's nice to know I have beta blockers in case I really need them, but I try and avoid that and most times can sort myself out a little.

And, yes, medications really help. I had a standard medication review last month for my anxiety / depression medication with my GP, but the GP has not checked something on a computer, so I can't order them any more from the NHS online APP. I thought I might try and go without and see how I do, but a few weeks later and I feel terrible, so I will be chasing that with my surgery to get that prescription restored. It was Fluoxetine, which is Prozac-based, and apparently withdrawal can be hell!

Like you, I sometimes get the part where I don't sleep properly because of this (panic and then panic because of the fear of panic), but after a few days, and with work, I end up so exhausted that sleep grabs me if I want it or not.

But, yes, not the best cycle but we're still here, and living with anxiety takes more strength than people realise so really, we are hardcore. Shame about our brain wiring

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information