Thread: I'm so over these heart fears!

I'm so over these heart fears!

Seriously, I don't know why they are back with a vengeance. I haven't had these in years, but one bad anxiety attack a few months ago and I've had heart fears ever since.
    Today I was on a work call, didn't feel anxious, but I could vaguely feel my heart going fast. And when I checked it, it was 130. Then I got anxious and it went to 150. I managed to calm myself down pretty quickly, but I did end up taking a Xanax because I (ironically) had my first therapy session today and I didn't want to feel anxious during it.
    I've since gone to the store, did some housework, feel really chill. But I've been sitting down now for 20 minutes, and my heart rate is 110. Not feeling anxious due to the Xanax, so I can't explain where it's coming from. I only just ate, my stomach has been upset all day, and if I do get heart palpitations from eating it's typically only about 20 minutes later. So now I'm worried those will get added on top and it'll go up to 140 for a while. I'm so over this heart thing. I wish I could just care less when it happens, but when I can't see an obvious reason for it I get concerned.

Re: I'm so over these heart fears!

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkling_Fairy View Post
    Seriously, I don't know why they are back with a vengeance. I haven't had these in years, but one bad anxiety attack a few months ago and I've had heart fears ever since.
    Today I was on a work call, didn't feel anxious, but I could vaguely feel my heart going fast. And when I checked it, it was 130. Then I got anxious and it went to 150. I managed to calm myself down pretty quickly, but I did end up taking a Xanax because I (ironically) had my first therapy session today and I didn't want to feel anxious during it.
    I've since gone to the store, did some housework, feel really chill. But I've been sitting down now for 20 minutes, and my heart rate is 110. Not feeling anxious due to the Xanax, so I can't explain where it's coming from. I only just ate, my stomach has been upset all day, and if I do get heart palpitations from eating it's typically only about 20 minutes later. So now I'm worried those will get added on top and it'll go up to 140 for a while. I'm so over this heart thing. I wish I could just care less when it happens, but when I can't see an obvious reason for it I get concerned.
    You're in an endless loop chap. The anxiety causes the heartrate to increase, and the increased heart rate causes anxiety.

I've had this happen. I've been at 180bpm sometimes. Those panic attacks are uncomfortable because you're scared to even move incase it makes it even worse.To this day I worry over my heart, but I know how to calm down when this happens. I do one of these:

* Plan fortnite with some random people. I don't have the mic on, but the conversations other people have are sometimes interesting, or annoying, but non the less that and the gameplay distracts me.
    * Put on my favourite cartoon Fugget About It (sometimes I watch this while I am playing the game)
    * Pray

My methods might be unconventional, but it breaks the focus from the heart, to something else. Once I feel my heartbeat drop by even 10bpm. I know it's working and I naturally relax quickly. I'll make myself a cup of tea afterwards and I'll be fine.

People cope in different ways. I haven't had a bad attack for a while. My medications help.

Don't worry or focus on your heart so much. It's natural to rise and fall throughout the day when you're working etc. The fact it speeds up, and then slows down, means you're good mate. It's when it doesn't slow down you've got a problem. But as you already know, it always slows down eventually.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Re: I'm so over these heart fears!

Thanks for the reply! I know you're going through it too. Interestingly I can rationalize it and give advice to other people, but I'm so bad taking it myself!
    I'm currently playing Tears of the Kingdom and use that as a distraction. But when I feel anxious, I can't play it. There's really nothing I can do to distract myself, I can only lie on the couch, watch TV, keep myself calm and wait for the heart rate to slow down. It's true, it inevitably always does.

Thread Information