Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Panic attacks outside because of summer heat

Panic attacks outside because of summer heat

After my experience at work I found out that I can't cope with the heat at all anymore. I was fine until today. My building is naturally a lot cooler so when I went outside today I immediately felt like in an oven. I went to the store like five minutes from home and I wasn't fine, I really don't know if it's the panic or it's something seriously wrong with me. I've felt weak and I felt without an air, wanting to go somewhere where the AC is on and when I came to the store where there was AC, I calmed down.

I am very worried. If I can't walk five or ten minutes in this heat, how will I survive this summer? I don't know what would have happened if there were no places with AC around me, I am afraid to even think about that.

Do you think that something is wrong with me? My face was somewhat redish (I am usually very pale) and hot (I don't know if that's normal).
    I am afraid of passing out and dying. These things haven't happened to me before although I've always hated summer.
    I am completely fine when it's normal temperature, I don't have a panic then.

This happened first time last September when I was waiting a bus and it was so hot and sunny and I couldn't escape the heat. I got a panic attack so wild that I really thought that I'll die. That feeling that I can't escape the heat is still haunting me. Like I really need to go to the nearest AC or I am dead- feeling.

Do you think that those were panic attacks at all? Maybe something is wrong about me...

Re: Panic attacks outside because of summer heat

Darlene, there's nothing seriously wrong with you. Heat can feel claustrophobic and I would think in Croatia where you are (your flag), it will feel worse than here in the UK. What could be at work, is that when it gets hot, you believe your breathing will suffer so you panic.

You could try wearing loose clothing and avoid going outside at the hottest times of the day, not easy I know. Try some deep breathing exercises too. Hang in there.

Thanks. I woke up now and I see that my cat is nervous too even though our flat is really cooler than some other apartments where I lived. I haven't bought a fan yet because it wasn't so hot until now.
    Croatia has horrible summers for over ten years, it wasn't like that when I was a child. But many people like that, when I was living near the sea everyone would enjoy summer except me.

I shouldn't have read anything on google, reading about deaths during heat waves and heat stroke doesn't help. I am really scared now. I am scared every summer that I will die but only this summer I really feel like I will die because I cannot tolerate the heat at all anymore. I live alone because I wanted to move for years and I am scared that this will ruin my life for me even if I don't die.

Also, a cat that I had died suddenly during a heat wave and I am scared for my cat that I have now, I see that he is drinking a lot of water...
    Last edited by darlene85; 21-06-23 at 01:55.

I am having a total relapse of anxiety and panic disorder. I've been awake whole night and very anxious. It's been a very stressful year for me, or even two years in a row and I can't cope anymore. This heat is obviously a trigger. I don't know how to help myself, I am on meds, only things that helps me is xanax but when I am exposed to heat even that doesn't work.

Edit: I was outside this morning and didn't have a panic attack because it's cooler than in the afternoon but it was still awful in the sun and my head hurts. But I didn't feel like I'm gonna collapse.
    Last edited by darlene85; 21-06-23 at 09:21.

I've had one more panic attack today because it's starting to get hot again. Next week it will be 40 C and I am scared for my life. I've read about a younger guy who passed out in a bus yesterday and I remebered how I almost passed out in a bus too and I am in fear again.
    I have AC at home finally but I am so scared because I have to go to the store and post office on Monday. Also I have a fear that AC will broke. This is the first time in my life that I have AC. I feel like I am gonna die without it.

I don't know what happened to me. I was always scared of heat and always thought that I was gonna die but this summer I really don't feel well outside.

Quote Originally Posted by darlene85 View Post
    I've had one more panic attack today because it's starting to get hot again. Next week it will be 40 C and I am scared for my life. I've read about a younger guy who passed out in a bus yesterday and I remebered how I almost passed out in a bus too and I am in fear again.
    I have AC at home finally but I am so scared because I have to go to the store and post office on Monday. Also I have a fear that AC will broke. This is the first time in my life that I have AC. I feel like I am gonna die without it.

I don't know what happened to me. I was always scared of heat and always thought that I was gonna die but this summer I really don't feel well outside.
    While I don't intend to come across as patronising in any way, just because one other person passes out on the bus in the heat it doesn't necessarily mean you're very likely to do the very same.

My advice is to carry some bottled water with you at all times for some kind of insurance against dehydration.

One of the best things about trains for me is that there are almost always on-board toilet facilities that us passengers can escape into for a few minutes' privacy if we're having panic attacks or feeling a little unwell (or whatever), unless one suffers from extreme claustrophobia and/or toilet-related anxiety in general, of course.

Such facilities are almost never found on normal buses, at least here in the UK.

Thanks, I will try to carry a bottle of water with me, I always forget that. We don't have that here, at least I think, it's been years since I was on the train.

I feel guilty for staying at home when everyone is somewhere outside but what can I do... I have one life and I am wasting it.

Don't feel guilty - why would you? Just because everyone else wants to go and sweat out in the sun it doesn't mean you have to. I struggle with the heat in the same way as you - I'm just aware of my limits. When it is hot like that I don't leave the house until the heat of the say is past. Cooler and more tolerable at home with the fridge, open windows and drinks.

One little tip - get yourself a little plastic spray bottle - like you get in travel goods - fill it with tap water and take it with you to spray mist your face and neck if necessary. It is wonderfully calming and cools you down instantly.

Quote Originally Posted by dorabella View Post
    Don't feel guilty - why would you? Just because everyone else wants to go and sweat out in the sun it doesn't mean you have to. I struggle with the heat in the same way as you - I'm just aware of my limits. When it is hot like that I don't leave the house until the heat of the say is past. Cooler and more tolerable at home with the fridge, open windows and drinks.

One little tip - get yourself a little plastic spray bottle - like you get in travel goods - fill it with tap water and take it with you to spray mist your face and neck if necessary. It is wonderfully calming and cools you down instantly.
    Sounds like a smart idea Dorabella.

BTW, we had torrential thunderstorms here in the Midlands yesterday evening.

It wasn't always like that, that's why I feel guilty, I remember nights when I would go out even when it was so hot during the night, I was sweating and it was so crowded because I lived in a place where tourists come every year but at least I've had some kind of a life. I haven't had AC my whole life, this is the first summer that I have it and thank God for that because this summer is especially difficult for me.
    I was always afraid of heat and had some panic attacks, some very bad ones but this summer and last September it was much much stronger and that scared me.

I won't go out this week except to the store early in the morning. I hope it will be ok with AC on. I still fear that AC will broke, I hope not, it's an irrational fear.

I've had a really stressful year, my mother was three times in a hospital, two times she was in a critical condition and I called an ambulance even though we live in different cities and it was very traumatic experience. someone broke my heart too and I moved to another city and it's a lot. I guess that contributed to panic attacks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information