Thread: Propranolol and blood pressure

Propranolol and blood pressure

My GP is going to prescribe me 80mg slow release Propranolol. Both as a preventative for migraines which I get multiple times a week, and as an added reason it might help with me with my anxiety.
    I asked her if it would cause any issues with my blood pressure as it's quite low on it's own. And she said Propranolol specifically doesn't lower your blood pressure too much.
    She said if you are feeling dizzy or a bit weak though, just call back in.
    I trust her, she always knows her stuff. But I would like to get an experience from someone who already had low blood pressure and started taking these, whether it affected them at all.
    Last edited by Sparkling_Fairy; 27-06-23 at 16:26.

Re: Propranolol and blood pressure

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkling_Fairy View Post
    But I would like to get an experience from someone who already had low blood pressure and started taking these, whether it affected them at all.
    Can't comment from personal experience as I'm on another beta-blocker to keep my BP lower than normal, however, 80mg propranolol is a low dose and being slow-release will only be trickled into the system so you will likely experience only very mild effects, if any. Just take it easy when getting out of bed, sit up on the edge for a few of seconds before standing, etc and don't jump up from chairs and you will probably be fine.

And try not to obsess over this as an anxious mind is very capable of delivering our worst nightmares if given the opportunity.

Thanks! I asked my pharmacist the question too when I went to pick up the medication and she said the same thing: Propranolol is more to slow your heart down than your blood pressure. They use other beta blockers for blood pressure. So this should have very little effect on your blood pressure

Hi, how did you get on with this please? I’ve been given propranolol to try and already have low Bp episodes. Did you get on ok? X

Sorry, I didn't see your response earlier! I'm absolutely fine on them. It hasn't lowered my blood pressure any further and it makes me feel a lot less physically anxious

6. Re: Propranolol and blood pressure

Hi individual response to medicines can be different. Some people with low blood pressure may feel dizziness when starting propranolol.

7. Re: Propranolol and blood pressure

Thats good to hear.

Thread Information