Thread: Propranolol and Xanax

Propranolol and Xanax

I've been prescribed both for my anxiety. I've taken Xanax many times before over the past few years.
    Propranolol is new to me. I've been taking it for 3 days now and feel pretty well on it. Except that I'm constantly worried about my heart rate being in the 60s when before it was in the 80s. So I'm just overly anxious at the moment about my heart rate and blood pressure.
    Has anyone ever taken them together? I asked the pharmacist and she said there is no problem with that. But given my fears right now, I worry the combination will lower my heart rate or blood pressure too much. Even though I never noticed Xanax did either, it mostly just kept me calm.
    However I just wanted to know if anyone had any experience taking both and how they felt. I have a long drive coming up on Tuesday which I would typically take a Xanax for (they don't make me feel drowsy) but I'm worried they might with this combination.

Re: Propranolol and Xanax

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkling_Fairy View Post
    Except that I'm constantly worried about my heart rate being in the 60s when before it was in the 80s.
    You should probably have been more worried about it being in the 80s. Cardiologists are increasing coming to the view that the 60-100 bpm resting heart rate that is considered to be the normal range for adults is too high and the ideal range is really 50-70 bpm. See: What is a Normal Heart Rate? and 5 Heart Rate Myths Debunked.

Has anyone ever taken them together?
    Many have. Adding alprazolam to propranolol might slightly reduce your heart rate if taken regularly, but probably not enough to make a noticeable difference except as a reading on a heart monitor.

So I'm just overly anxious at the moment about my heart rate and blood pressure.
    Then stop monitoring them unless you have been diagnosed with serious cardiovascular issues and been advised to do so by your GP or cardiologist. It is pointless and is not doing you any favours.

I asked the pharmacist and she said there is no problem with that.
    She would know.

I have a long drive coming up on Tuesday which I would typically take a Xanax for (they don't make me feel drowsy) but I'm worried they might with this combination.
    Perhaps take both beforehand to see what effect they have on you.

Re: Propranolol and Xanax

Thanks! I always appreciate your reply!
    I’ll have to try and take it at home at one point and see how it makes me feel, before I take it on a trip

Thread Information