Thread: Large streak of blood on stool

Large streak of blood on stool

Going through a bit of a stressful time lately and now this. Went to the loo this morning and there was a large streak of blood on my stool. It was definitely blood and not food.
    I didn't strain when I was going but did feel a little bit sore all of a sudden down there. I wiped several times (sorry if tmi) and checked the toilet paper but there was no blood at all on it. And I thoroughly checked it. So it was just a streak of bright red blood on my stool.
    I have had piles in the past. A few years ago a doctor banded them (I think that's what you call it) but I'm not sure if he said that they may come back after it, banding doesn't guarantee to get rid of them.
    I'm just in a bit of a state now over this, I could really have done without it at the moment. Seeing the blood in the toilet bowl has really scared me

Re: Large streak of blood on stool

Nothing to be scared of, it's probably just a fissure.

Thanks BlueIris. I'm trying my best to tell myself that it's probably just a pile or a fissure but the fact that I'm in a stressful state at the moment anyway isn't making it easy.
    I did have a colonoscopy about 2 and a half years ago. Is it true that if you get the all clear in this, that you're good for about 8 to 10 years because that's how long it takes for things to develope and grow?

Not sure, but my husband had polyps removed (including one large one) and they don't want him back for another 3 years. If you got the all clear you should be great for a bit.

If you've got stuff going on and you want to talk, feel free to DM me - I'm on my own in the office all week and honestly, I could do with the company.

I hope everything turned out ok for your husband BlueIris, that must have been very worrying for you both.
    They said they didn't even find polyps in the colonoscopy so my logical brain is trying to tell me it's piles/fissure but the anxiety brain is screaming but what if it's not

Thank you so much for that very kind offer. I'm finding it hard to talk to anyone at the moment even though it's probably what I need the most right now. I will keep your offer in mind though, but I really mean it BI when I say thank you

All good.

Husband is absolutely fine now, luckily, I thought I was going to die of fear at the time

I just wanted to ask a quick question about the colonoscopy because my anxiety is going all over the place.
    Before you have the procedure you have to take this special drink for 24hours or something beforehand. When I had mine I followed the instructions and drank it all (it was awful stuff)
    As far as I was aware, when you're finished it, all you should be passing at that stage is practically water. I remember mine wasn't complete water, there were still bits of soft stool mixed in with the water like substance.
    I said it to a nurse before my procedure and she did look a bit surprised but didn't say much.
    Is there any chance that because I was still passing small bits of stool that the colonoscopy wasn't read properly? I'm not even sure how I should be phrasing this but could it have effected the outcome?
    It's a thought that did come into my head at the time but I dismissed it, until a while ago.

That seems really unlikely. If they couldn't get a proper view it would have said so on the report.

Thread Information