Thread: Need advice - pain in right hand.. HA over MND

Need advice - pain in right hand.. HA over MND

Hi all, I am in the rabbit hole of HA over ALS / MND still.. been suffering some strange neuro symptoms and been checked by neurologist who said 99% certain not neuromuscular disease like mnd. He did clinical tests and all ok. But a week after visit, I’ve got new symptoms of pain in right hand at base of hand, this was not present when he checked me over.. not sure if this is a cramp sensation but having read stuff on MNd / ALS it is conflicting on when cramps can start… and pain..I also feel like the pain is going to my elbow. I think if there was weakness It would be hand first not elbow but not sure now.. I think becusee I suffer with twitches since June I am linking everything to MNd. Also had swallowing issues of m food sensation stuck at back of throat, feels like catahh but drs prescribed any acids for this but not improving..
    neurologist prescribed anxiety meds which I’m on now..
    I can still do things like dry hair, keys in door and did a workout this morning to try and help with anxiety but never had anything, Like this before so not experienced it in my hand but any advice on this symptom, please let me know?
    This is so exhausting!
    Last edited by VR007; 30-07-23 at 13:08.

Re: Need advice - pain in right hand.. HA over MND

Quote Originally Posted by VR007 View Post
    been checked by neurologist who said 99% certain not neuromuscular disease like mnd. He did clinical tests and all ok.
    Advice? Believe your doctor and seek help with the real reason you're still spiraling.

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

It definitely is exhausting but you need to take a look at what's causing this. Have a read of a few posts here and you will see extremely similar patterns in a lot of them. You had symptoms that your anxiety convinced you were MND - you got the all clear and hey presto a week later you have something new, something the neuro didn't know about and this time it's definitely MND - you think why couldn't you have gotten this pain before you saw the neuro? Then they could check it out and you'd know for sure that you didn't have MND...

But it doesn't work like that does it? Because the next time you get a pain, a tingle or a twitch your anxiety will convince you of the exact same. Seeking reassurance through a Dr's visit, or googling and reading medical papers that you are in no way qualified to interpret is just throwing another log on the fire when you should really let it burn out. There will always be another pain or twitch because that's how our bodies work, but your anxiety will try and convince you that these are dangerous. How many times has it been correct? It isn't easy, but getting to a healthy level of Dr's visits etc is the main thing you need to focus on, not whether you can dry your hair. I can't tell you about your symptoms because I'm not a Dr, but I can speak about anxiety because I've been there, and thankfully I've managed to get this under control after months of hard work.

Thanks both on replying… I need to work on this as it’s driving me crazy! Anxiety is a nightmare, I wouldn’t wish this on my worst enemy!

Well at least you can acknowledge on some level that it is anxiety, which is a great start! It really isn't an easy thing to do, your anxiety makes you feel uncomfortable and this leads to checking and reassurance seeking which makes you feel better... For a small while. But really it's like an alcoholic saying "just one more drink".

The problem being though that it's so easy to reach for your phone and google, or twist your keys in the door extra hard just to be SURE that there is no weakness, particularly as doing it takes away that immediate horrible anxious feeling, but trust me it really is for the best not to. I would definitely recommend counselling or a psychologist if you can get access to it, as it's a tough nut to crack. Our minds are so tuned in to our bodies that it's a constant battle, but you can get on top of it with a lot of work.

Quote Originally Posted by Mocadona View Post
    Well at least you can acknowledge on some level that it is anxiety, which is a great start! It really isn't an easy thing to do, your anxiety makes you feel uncomfortable and this leads to checking and reassurance seeking which makes you feel better... For a small while. But really it's like an alcoholic saying "just one more drink".

The problem being though that it's so easy to reach for your phone and google, or twist your keys in the door extra hard just to be SURE that there is no weakness, particularly as doing it takes away that immediate horrible anxious feeling, but trust me it really is for the best not to. I would definitely recommend counselling or a psychologist if you can get access to it, as it's a tough nut to crack. Our minds are so tuned in to our bodies that it's a constant battle, but you can get on top of it with a lot of work.
    it is so true, it’s like I’m an addict to googling and trying to find a root cause to my symptoms… your right I am testing strength to make sure which is awful that it’s made me like this! You try to get through it but each day is a challenge and each day will bring something new for me to get worked up over!
    I’m Definately looking at counselling as I need to
    move forward and currently stuck in the rut of all this!

I would always say you can take great comfort in the knowledge that your HA situation isn't unique, all of these behaviours are bringing you down a well worn path that most of us here can relate to. But I do think it's helpful as well to get to know your anxiety personally, what triggers it (stress, tiredness, even happiness!) and what does it make you do? One time I was battling not to look for reassurance about a particular symptom, and I purposefully let my anxiety win, but actually observed my beahviours as well. I realised when I couldn't fit my symptom into the disease I wanted, my google search terms were getting wider and wider in order to find some kind of a link until there it was - a brief mention in some obscure report and that was all I needed... But because I had seen what my HA was driving me to do it really helped combat the irrational thoughts.

I think professional help really is key as you need to be taught proper techniques to be able to work your way through it. I wish it was as easy as me saying "just stop googling" and you never google again, but everyone is different and what works for one won't work for another. But just be aware that there are a lot of us, and a lot of us who have gotten control over this so don't feel like you're the odd one out!

Thanks for your advice, still
    got lump sensation at back of throat and after eating plus hand ache. Trying to not Google but very difficult… I’ve also arranged to have some therapy as no matter what this is, it’s taking my time and my thoughts ��. Need to work on this but it is good to know other people have gotten through this.

It doesn’t help when you read article in paper over celebrity whose partners died of mnd and they state the symptoms are:

Symptoms

The first signs of ALS are twitching of the muscles, weaknesses of the limbs and problems with swallowing and speaking. Progressively, it deteriorates muscle control and impacts an individual's ability to breathe, move, speak and eat.
    ALS symptoms correspond with where nerve cells deteriorate in each person, and could lead to issues walking, tripping, and weakness of the knees, ankles and hands.
    It can also lead to problems with muscle cramps and twitching in areas including one's tongue, arms and shoulders. People with ALS have experienced untimely spells of laughter, tears and yawns, as well as changes to one's thinking process or behavior, according to the clinic.

mind gone into overdrive this morning!

Thread Information