Thread: Best time to take Propranolol

Best time to take Propranolol

Morning

I'm only on a low dose - 40mg daily. Started on Monday, taking it at night. Don't know if I actually experienced any side effects of if my wonderful over active brain just imagined them courtesy of my anxiety 🙄🙄

What is the best time of the day to take it please to get best effect whilst not being hampered by any side effects - imaginary or not! With food or not?

Thank you

Re: Best time to take Propranolol

I always preferred to ask for slow release and take them in the morning so they didn't interfere with my sleep.

I take 80mg slow release in the morning, so they last all day.
    I think it really depends on the side effects when you choose to take them. 40mg instant release, some people prefer to take during the day so they feel calm longer. Others prefer to take it at night, because it makes them feel a bit dizzy. So it depends on you

Also want to add: don't be afraid of them. I was SO afraid of them in the beginning! And they have been a godsend! I've had some major anxiety since taking them, once had a pretty strong anxiety attack, and my heart stayed perfectly calm. I also didn't get shaky or feel like I was going to pass out. Just really warm and clammy. But without this medication I would still be experiencing major physical anxiety all the time. So trust the medication and you'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by DL45 View Post
    I'm only on a low dose - 40mg daily.
    Is this a slow/extended, or immediate release formulation? I'm guessing it's immediate because the infoa I have is that the lowest dose slow-release capsuled available in the UK are 80mg.

Immediate-release propranolol is usually prescribed to be taken several times a day because it has a short half-life, about 8 hours. If you've been told to take it only once a day then take it before the part of the day when anxiety is at its worst if this varies over the day, or first thing in the morning unless your GP told you different. It weon't matter much whether you take it with, or without food.

If you have a slow, or extended release formulation then take it whenever you want. The important thing is to take it at about the same time every day.

Don't know if I actually experienced any side effects of if my wonderful over active brain just imagined them courtesy of my anxiety
    The most common side-effect is tiredness. It may also effect your stamina so don't plan on running any marathons.

Thread Information