Thread: Proteus mirabilis infection!!! Please help me!

Proteus mirabilis infection!!! Please help me!

I’ve just been told I have a UTI caused my p.mirabilis. My wee has smelt like rotten eggs since Tuesday and I’ve had on and off pain when I wee!

I’ve never heard of this bacteria before, but I’ve read it has a 50% mortality rate and it can cause sepsis quickly!!

I am absolutely terrified. I have been given antibiotics and just started them now. But I’m freaking out!!!

Re: Proteus mirabilis infection!!! Please help me!

Where did you see that it has a 50% mortality rate?
    I had never heard of it and Googled it, and every site I read it says it's very easily treatable with antibiotics. And I didn't see anything about a high mortality rate.

Re: Proteus mirabilis infection!!! Please help me!

I think you are selectively reading. From NIH: "Symptoms generally resolve without complications in immunocompetent patients. Immunocompromised patients can be at higher risk for sepsis or prolonged infections."

Unless you are a severely immunocompromised patient, this will subside with treatment like the vast majority of UTIs. This is true of all UTIs (that they pose a greater risk to immunocompromised patients), not just this strain of bacteria. I'm pretty sure whatever you read was about "complicated UTIs," which are those among the high risk population.

Thread Information