Thread: Afraid of NAUSEA, not vomiting?

Afraid of NAUSEA, not vomiting?

I wonder if anyone on here is like me. I find severe nausea to be one of the worst feelings you can experience- I’m not just talking about feeling a bit sick, I mean feeling so incredibly nauseous you feel like you’re going crazy, you start clawing at your body trying to ground yourself (it’s usually my thighs that get the brunt of it) and basically feel like you’d rather die than continue feeling so desperately uncomfortable.

Most emetophobics are scared of vomiting. I’d RATHER vomit & feel better than cope with just a few minutes of debilitating nausea. People also say “it’s okay, you won’t die!” as if being dead is somehow worse than living with this level of suffering.

I don’t feel that I am irrationally phobic: the nausea truly is horrendous to experience and can’t be “calmed away”. If someone put their hand through a grinder you’d rightly expect that to be a horrific thing to feel- well this level of nausea is akin to that extreme scenario. It’s a strong feeling of unease equivalent to the worst pain imaginable.

I’ve taken different anti-emetics but they only help sometimes and not always to a great extent. Unfortunately it’s very easy to stop someone vomiting, but far less is known and researched about stopping nausea and its various causes within the body. I’ve of course tried the usual things: ginger, peppermint, sea bands, breathing techniques, meditation, distraction… it’s too extreme for any of that.

I suppose I just wondered if anyone was like me- not your typical emetophobic!
    Last edited by Captainhowdy; 24-08-23 at 23:15.

Re: Afraid of NAUSEA, not vomiting?

Quote Originally Posted by Captainhowdy View Post

I wonder if anyone on here is like me. I find severe nausea to be one of the worst feelings you can experience- I’m not just talking about feeling a bit sick, I mean feeling so incredibly nauseous you feel like you’re going crazy, you start clawing at your body trying to ground yourself (it’s usually my thighs that get the brunt of it) and basically feel like you’d rather die than continue feeling so desperately uncomfortable.

Most emetophobics are scared of vomiting. I’d RATHER vomit & feel better than cope with just a few minutes of debilitating nausea. People also say “it’s okay, you won’t die!” as if being dead is somehow worse than living with this level of suffering.

I don’t feel that I am irrationally phobic: the nausea truly is horrendous to experience and can’t be “calmed away”. If someone put their hand through a grinder you’d rightly expect that to be a horrific thing to feel- well this level of nausea is akin to that extreme scenario. It’s a strong feeling of unease equivalent to the worst pain imaginable.

I’ve taken different anti-emetics but they only help sometimes and not always to a great extent. Unfortunately it’s very easy to stop someone vomiting, but far less is known and researched about stopping nausea and its various causes within the body. I’ve of course tried the usual things: ginger, peppermint, sea bands, breathing techniques, meditation, distraction… it’s too extreme for any of that.

I suppose I just wondered if anyone was like me- not your typical emetophobic!
    While I agree that nausea definitely feels uncomfortable for us all, I still consider it the lesser of the two evils compared to actually vomiting.

In most instances with the vast majority of individuals, such feelings tend to pass without actually having to vomit.

I say that as someone who suffered from extreme emetophobia when I was younger.

Re: Afraid of NAUSEA, not vomiting?

I’ve started feeling sick/nauseous the past few days and it’s got to the point where it’s getting in the way of me relaxing.

I wouldn’t say I have a fear of vomiting or nausea, more that I get anxious if I feel off without an obvious reason.

You’re not alone with feeling sick and fearing the feeling. It’s a horrible feeling that I’ve been trying my best to ignore and I wouldn’t wish it on anybody, you included.

How often do you feel nauseous and have you found anything that mitigates it? Has a doctor ever said anything about it?

Thread Information