Thread: Panicking About Trip Tomorrow

Arrow Panicking About Trip Tomorrow

New to the forum. I am having repeated panic attacks about going on a short but far guys trip across the country for Labor Day weekend, leaving tomorrow. Its only 2 nights but I am incredibly stressed about it. I have been having repeated episodes of panic for the past 3 days and am now thinking of cancelling, but don't know what to tell my friends or whether I should even give into the panic. A little background, I have had generalized anxiety forever and recently switched my medication to Lexapro after being off meds for a month or two due to some side effects. Any advice?

Re: Panicking About Trip Tomorrow

Do your friends know you suffer from anxiety?
    I had to go on a hen (bachelorette for Americans) weekend abroad last year and was equally anxious, and thinking of cancelling. But I was the maid of honour, so that would've been hard!
    I told the girls honestly I was dealing with a lot of anxiety, and was surprised how many of them replied that they had dealt with it in the past, or were at present taking medication for it. They told me if anything became too much, to just let them know. And that really helped calm me.
    I know it's typically different among guys. But any way you can let them know what you're dealing with?

Re: Panicking About Trip Tomorrow

I have had anxiety about plenty of friends' trips and often had to push through. I never regretted it, though, and usually ended up having fun.

For me, it's always helpful if I can give myself an "out". So if I'm feeling overwhelmed, I just take a little time to myself and do something that makes me happy or calms me down. For example, I went on a multiday camping trip with a friend and two of the days I just needed time, so she did some hiking and I hung out and read, or went shopping in town, even treated myself to lunch.

If you go and are feeling overwhelmed, can you let your friends know and go back to the hotel and watch a movie or something? You may not even need to have a break, but sometimes just knowing that you can take one is enough to make you feel better.
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

Thread Information