Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kaleidoscope aura optical migraines

Kaleidoscope aura optical migraines

I experienced my 2nd kaleidoscope aura today. The first time I was absolutely petrified. This time I knew what it was, still scary though. I laid on the bed with my eyes closed until it passed. I think it was triggered by direct sunlight but can't be sure.
    I was wondering what do you do if you are out and it happens? Or worse still, when you are driving.

Re: Kaleidoscope aura optical migraines

As you may remember I’ve had a couple of these. I had them both while watching the TV. I don’t know whether that’s important or not.

The kaleidoscope effect is on the edge of my vision but the blind spot can be anywhere. So I imagine that would be a problem driving. I just generally sit it out. Continue watching the TV or messing on the iPad. It lasts about 20 minutes, so perhaps pulling over may be wise until that blind spot goes.

Ghost…Spillways

Bright lights are always a trigger for mine.

I don't drive, but I've had a few while out and about - on the bus or in a restaurant. Normally I just try to wait them out, it's not ideal but it's all you can do.

When you've had a few of them you get to feel the rhythm of how they progress, and tracking that can be quite soothing.

Darksky I've had them on the edge when watching TV when the sun has bounced off of the screen and didn't think much of it at the time. I thought it was another anxiety symptom.
    The two I've had in the last couple of years have been over my complete sight and actually distorts everything I look at. Because I already had one I knew what it was but it doesn't make it less scary.

BlueIris, bright lights seem to my trigger too. Both times through glass and sunlight.
    How on earth do you manage it a restaurant and eat Beck I could barely see for the kaleidoscope and distortion.
    You are right about waiting them out, there's not much more you can do.

It was a very posh restaurant, Carnation, and I really didn't want my 20th anniversary to be ruined. Luckily it had mostly worn off by the time the food arrived.

What timing BlueIris.

Hi Carn, I've had these on and off for around 15 years. No idea what triggers them. I can go months without having one, then maybe have 1 every other week for a bit. I've only had 4 this year I think. I have also had an episode where I had two in a row, and that was a bit scary as that's never happened before.

No idea what triggers them for me. I've had one as I wake up in the morning - could literally see it before opening my eyes! I've had one come on in the middle of a football match, and another while driving. It just seems completely random. Sometimes I get like a headache/mild migraine after but not often.

They started first for me when I began working with computers on a daily basis.

Mr Lurcher it seems bright lights may be the trigger.
    Do they get easier to handle with time?

Quote Originally Posted by Carnation View Post
    Mr Lurcher it seems bright lights may be the trigger.
    Do they get easier to handle with time?
    Yeah, they don't bother me much now, you do get used to them. I've driven while having one and carried on playing football when it happened! The football one worried me a bit because I took a bang to the head and it happened shortly after. But probably unrelated as it passed like usual.

Obviously when it happened the first time (in work) I freaked out big time, and almost told my boss I was having a stroke or something!

Hello. I get these fairly regularly for me they start right in the center if my eye and work their way out in like a c shape. I drive a lot for work so once I notice the wriggle in the middle of my eye I look for a safe place to stop and wait it out. Normally takes about 20 mins and then I carry on a normal. I no idea what triggers them as I can wake up with them. They are really scary the first time they happen but lucky for me I was out shopping when one happened early on and I went into an optometrist who looked at me there and then who explained what they were. You just learn to live with them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information