Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worrying today

Worrying today

I’m at my parent’s house this weekend and brought a friend up with me (they live by the beach). My friend is really stuffy and it’s triggered me a lot because of the current Covid rise. She took test last night and today and was negative both times so I know I need to chill, but last time I saw my mom I gave her Covid and the time before that we all got the flu. So I’m just not in a great place. I had Covid three month ago and just had some scary blood work about the high level of vascular inflammation I have so I’m catastrophizing that I’ll die if I get it again, especially so soon. We’re only here until Monday and I’d probably have symptoms by tomorrow if she does have it. So I’m trying to just relax and say I have no control at this point. But as we all know, that’s hard.

Re: Worrying today

She's had two negative tests so try not to worry. I know it isn't easy, but try to hang onto that reassurance.

I think there will always be worry about getting sick (thanks to covid).
    In my experience our parents generation are more resilient and probably don't fret as much as we do.
    It's also the issue of passing something on and the guilt of doing that.
    We also forget about the common cold, hay-fever, sinus issues and stuff we've lived with throughout our life.
    Don't let this situation spoil your visit. I know you must be worrying but you are worrying about something that hasn't happened yet and more than likely won't happen.
    It's summer, windows are open, there's a lot of outside time and outside coming in. Take a deep breath and try to enjoy your stay. x

Quote Originally Posted by Carnation View Post
    I think there will always be worry about getting sick (thanks to covid).
    In my experience our parents generation are more resilient and probably don't fret as much as we do.
    It's also the issue of passing something on and the guilt of doing that.
    We also forget about the common cold, hay-fever, sinus issues and stuff we've lived with throughout our life.
    Don't let this situation spoil your visit. I know you must be worrying but you are worrying about something that hasn't happened yet and more than likely won't happen.
    It's summer, windows are open, there's a lot of outside time and outside coming in. Take a deep breath and try to enjoy your stay. x
    I've been feeling a little jittery over the talk of the recently discovered BA.2.86 sub-variant over the past couple of weeks but up until now the media in general have kept it fairly low-key, plus so far it's not reported to be any more harmful than previous (sub)variants.

Had this particular Covid sub-variant emerged even some 12-18 months ago the media would probably have made a much bigger deal of it than they actually seem to have done so far.

But obviously, only time will tell as to how it all plays out, and most experts so far (from what I've read) seem to believe a repeat of autumn 2020 is unlikely.

Lencoboy, please take into account that the media will be working their magic to scare people out of all proportion.
    It's happening with other subjects too. Such as the weather and food supplies. Don't fret about something that hasn't happened yet.

Lencoboy, please take into account that the media will be working their magic to scare people out of all proportion.
    It's happening with other subjects too. Such as the weather and food supplies. Don't fret about something that hasn't happened yet.
    I'm not losing sleep over it just yet, plus if BA.2.86 was really considered an extremely profound threat to us all then the media and the authorities would have already been hopping up and down over it by now.

Funnily enough, my dad was watching Sky News last night and there was an article discussing an 'epidemic' of violence and aggression towards shop workers and the effects of the Covid pandemic largely blamed, which I thought was a bit of a lazy scapegoat, but such phenomena in actual fact is hardly new and already went on long before 2020. In fact, I even recall reading an article on the BBC site in 2006 about said issue and was just as much of a 'moral panic' back then as it is now.

While I'm certainly not trivialising the issue of abusive attacks on shop workers and offenders who indulge in such behaviours should quite rightly face the full force of the law.

Ditto for abuse of NHS staff (and the like) which is also a longstanding issue that the media also like to regurgitate every now and then. And not forgetting attacks by dangerous dogs either, which seems to have been another recurring panic of late.

How are you doing Erin?

How are you doing Erin?
    All is well, Carnation. No one got sick! I think I'm just really extra on edge because of the scary blood test result, so now I'm on high alert for anything. I'll repeat that test in a few weeks and in the meantime I'm taking a lot of steps to improve my health. So, hopefully all of that can help set my mind at ease.

That's good to hear Erin.

I am worried too, as numbers are back up, a lot of my online friends are getting covid, tests came back saying it's covid for them and hospitals are starting to fill up again, I am just so sick of this, it's been three years now, I told hubby to start wearing his mask.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information