Thread: Smear test - couldn't find cervix?

Smear test - couldn't find cervix?

Hi all,

I've just had a smear test/ cervical screening and it was a process!

I've had two before which were all normal, I also have got the Mirena and had 2 apppointments to put that in because the first time they couldn't reach my cervix properly.

This time, there were more issues with my cervix - the nurse couldn't reach it. She said I'd have to rebook, which I really didn't want as it takes me ages to gear up for this appointments. I said is there anything I can do to help move it and she said to try and go to the toilet and "jiggle" a bit and it actually did work, she managed to find it then after about 2 attempts.

It's all done now, but I've found myself worried why my cervix is like this. Is it just the way it is? Has anyone else had this? I have had a normal test result since the Mirena appointment when they couldn't reach my cervix so rationally I know that it's probably ok, but can't help worrying.

Re: Smear test - couldn't find cervix?

Mine is on a tilt and has been difficult to get at at times, I think it's quite normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Catkins View Post
    Mine is on a tilt and has been difficult to get at at times, I think it's quite normal.
    Thankyou for your response! I think I just got myself so worked up about it and the fact that it wasn't simple made me feel even worse, and now I've managed to get it into my head that that means the results will be bad but I know that's magical thinking.

I spoke to the nurse about my worries and she assured me that it was a test to prevent cancer.

I'm also due on my period (tried to get an appointment for last week but they didn't have any) and while I know the cramping I've got is due to that, I'm still feeling anxious about that! Look forward to getting my period over and done with and hopefully get these results and they'll be ok too. I've had two completely normal smears so I know it's very likely to be normal/ small chance of HPV positive but even so that's not a big deal, but I can't help but feel anxious about it all...

I learned at my last smear that it's normal for it to shift around a bit! The nurse has never had any problem finding mine but last time it was "being shy" in her words!

Hi all! Just wanted to update the thread to say I got my results back and they were HPV negative, so all good I think it's just the way my cervix is! Also my NHS app doctor's record updated a few days before I received the letter, so I'd recommend signing up to get doctor's updates on there if you're like me and hate waiting for results.

Thread Information