Thread: Brown spotting and I'm so scared!

Brown spotting and I'm so scared!

Hello!

I'm really hoping someone can help me rationalise and calm myself down.

I went to the doctor a little while ago because for my last three cycles I've been having brown discharge two to three days before my period started. She didn't seem too concerned and booked me in for a scan and did an exam (she found what was a benign cervical polyp which I have had removed) the scans came back clear (apart from a fibroid on the outside wall of my uterus which I already knew about) over the phone she said it was all "reassuring" and said that if the spotting came back then she would probably send me for a hysteroscopy because "sometimes the scan doesn't pick up small things"

Since then the spotting has come back for my last cycle and I am in absolute pieces with health anxiety. Hysteroscopies sound terrifying and honestly I'm overthinking about what she could have meant by "things that the scan could miss".

I'm 36 and not on any hormonal contraceptives, I have awful health anxiety surrounding cancer and I'm absolutely terrified I have uterine cancer.

Can anyone offer any tips to help me rationalise all things and stop catastrophizing? 😔

Re: Brown spotting and I'm so scared!

Hi, I’m 48 but frequently have brown discharge before and after my period. It’s a sign your period is going to start or finish. Hope that reassured you

Quote Originally Posted by Blonde123 View Post
    Hi, I’m 48 but frequently have brown discharge before and after my period. It’s a sign your period is going to start or finish. Hope that reassured you
    Thank you for your reply

I'm going through something similar at the moment. For the past 3 months I'm having pink or brown discharge for about a week or so after my period ends. I'm booked in for an ultrasound but have no idea how long I'll be waiting.
    I've read many posts on here about brown spotting a few days before your period and it seems to be quite common, and normal. It's just a sign that your period is on the way.
    I know what the doctor said sounds scary, especially to someone suffering from HA, but she probably just said it to cover her own back and I also think that if she thought there was something more serious going on that she'd be sending you for further tests now.
    Try not to fall down the rabbit hole. Easier said than done I know, but from what I know, if it was uterine cancer, you'd have a lot more symptoms than just brown spotting before your period.

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenGirl View Post
    I'm going through something similar at the moment. For the past 3 months I'm having pink or brown discharge for about a week or so after my period ends. I'm booked in for an ultrasound but have no idea how long I'll be waiting.
    I've read many posts on here about brown spotting a few days before your period and it seems to be quite common, and normal. It's just a sign that your period is on the way.
    I know what the doctor said sounds scary, especially to someone suffering from HA, but she probably just said it to cover her own back and I also think that if she thought there was something more serious going on that she'd be sending you for further tests now.
    Try not to fall down the rabbit hole. Easier said than done I know, but from what I know, if it was uterine cancer, you'd have a lot more symptoms than just brown spotting before your period.

Sorry for the late reply but I just wanted to say thank you for the reply, I'm so sorry you're struggling too and I hope it settles soon, or you get some answers. It's so hard when you have health anxiety isn't it

It is common for women to spot brownish discharge a few days to a week before your period, it's the old blood from your last cycle that didn't come out, and you can also spot after your period as well, as the blood starts to slow down it turns brownish. I have had this since I was 12 and am fine. Even during perimenopause this will happen.

Thread Information