Thread: High Calprotectin - Bowel Cancer Fears

High Calprotectin - Bowel Cancer Fears

I'm having a right time of it at the moment. After suffering loose, watery stools for several weeks, I had some stool samples tested. Infection tests came back normal and the FIT test for blood came back normal (although says "low risk of colorectal cancer"). However, the faecal calprotectin came back very high. Below 50 is normal, mine was 485.

On the review with the GP, they have now referred me to the gastroenterology department as a matter of some urgency. She mentioned the potential for IBD but I'm terrified it might be cancer. I keep trying to tell myself that the lack of blood in the stool makes it unlikely but not impossible. I've had digestive issues for years and it's always been put down to IBS but what if it's actually been cancer this whole time and now it's too advanced? I know it's going to lead to a colonoscopy and I've never had any kind of procedure ever and I've read some horror stories about the pain. The wait for the referral is agonising because I can't stop spiralling over it all.

Re: High Calprotectin - Bowel Cancer Fears

sorry to hear about this. i understand you are worried. All i can say that a high calprotectin is seen in viruses (but they would be transient).. and indeed IBD. That you assume the worst because of your long time symptoms and now these calprotectine is , at least for me, understandable.. you feel a bit startled/scared after hearing about this calprotectine test result. i believe that below 50 is normal. anything between 50 and 120 sometimes 200 is used is still considered okay.. anything above that raises suspicion of inflammation. Only thing i can tell you. someone i know , female 32 had also high calprotectine and they did not found out why and she got an endoscopy and eventually it dropped..

sometimes things are weird.

Thread Information