Thread: Barium Swallow Test findings?

Barium Swallow Test findings?

Hello,

Was just curious if anyone on here can decipher these findings from my Barium Test. Been having troubles swallowing for the past couple weeks with solid foods, takes longer to eat. Had horrible acid reflux before starting prilosec. My concern is esophagus cancer. I guess I was concerned about the no instrinisc or extrinisic masses found " elsewhere"

FINDINGS: There is a portion of the mid esophagus which demonstrates luminal narrowing and poor distention throughout the course of the exam. There appears to be some very subtle irregularity of the contour/wall of the esophagus at this location (series 14). These findings raise the concern for the possibility of eosinophilic esophagitis. No findings for intrinsic or extrinsic masses elsewhere. The mucosa is grossly normal in appearance on this fluoroscopic exam. Normal position of the gastroesophageal junction. Normal esophageal motility. There was only 1 mild episode of dysmotility on a single swallow in the prone position. There was moderate volume gastroesophageal reflux into the mid to upper esophagus. IMPRESSION: 1. Narrowing of the midportion of the esophagus with poor distention throughout the exam and subtle irregularity of the contour/wall at this location. These findings raise the concern for eosinophilic esophagitis. Clinical correlation is recommended. 2. Moderate volume gastroesophageal reflux to the mid to upper esophagus. 3. Normal esophageal motility.

Re: Barium Swallow Test findings?

All it's saying is that there's some thickening at the part where they think you might have esophagitis.

Thank you for responding back, much appreciated.

So my worry was the " irregularity seen at the contour/wall combined with narrowing, and where he says " no intrinsic or extrinsic masses found elsewhere" Maybe I am reading this wrong, I probably am, but that makes me think that there was something of suspicion with the irregularity? I know the suspected diagnosis is EOE, just a bit concerned is all.

I can see why you're concerned, but I honestly think it's just semantics.

Thread Information