Thread: Bleeding for over 7 days? & irregular spotting - scared!!

Unhappy Bleeding for over 7 days? & irregular spotting - scared!!

Hi there, losing my mind a little and hope someone can help to reassure me somewhat.

First things worth mentioning, I have suspected endo (not fully confirmed) and since April have been taking a medication called Dienogest to see if it helps. I also had a borderline positive smear result with high risk cell changes (HPV positive) and CIN1 that was diagnosed in January by colposcopy and biopsy.

My bleeding cycles have always been fairly regular before taking Dienogest, roughly 4-5 days with a slight spotting either before or after. Since then dienogest did calm them down (its meant to suppress bleeding) but I've had some irregular spotting here and there for a day or two and the odd light period show up when due.

I’m having a complete freakout anxiety-wise as just this last week (since the 22nd) my period showed up early 5 days before it's normally due and since then I’ve been bleeding lightly. I thought it had stopped yesterday as it had mainly slowed to some very slight spotting but just now went to the toilet and am having some heavier spotting again. And just now I passed a tiny clot as well, which has me now completely paranoid.

Is this likely to be a hormonal thing even though it's been over 5 months since I started dienogest? (usually irregular bleeding only happens in the first few months). I'm actually paranoid it's something worse and could be my cervical cell changes progressing to something much worse????
    I did take a two week course of antibiotics (Clarithromycin) earlier this month so I'm wondering if this could impact the hormones (or the effectiveness of the dienogest) too?
    My Gyn appointment isn't until November and neither is my next smear so I'm gonna spend the next two months or so beside myself worrying. I can speak to my GP next week I guess if the bleeding hasn't stopped.

I know my case is unusual since I guess Dienogest is involved, but I just wanted to post here in the hopes someone might be able to calm me down a little lol. Thanks.
    Last edited by LuSmith; 29-09-23 at 18:45.

Re: Bleeding for over 7 days? & irregular spotting - scared!!

May I ask how old you are?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    May I ask how old you are?
    I'm 38 years old, 39 in December.

That's not too young for perimenopause.

I had endometriosis before my hysterectomy. Your symptoms sound similar to mine. I was really scared, I thought it was cancer. But it turned out to be endometriosis. The symptoms went away after my hysterectomy. Best of luck to you :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    That's not too young for perimenopause.
    I did think that's a possibility but they did some typical hormonal blood tests earlier in the year which showed no hormonal issues (I've been having night sweats for a few years). Not sure if blood tests are accurate or tend to show these kind of things though!

Quote Originally Posted by Piano View Post
    I had endometriosis before my hysterectomy. Your symptoms sound similar to mine. I was really scared, I thought it was cancer. But it turned out to be endometriosis. The symptoms went away after my hysterectomy. Best of luck to you :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks! I do wonder sometimes if it's possibly related to endo. When I was younger in 2012 I had a lap which showed adhesions and my ovary stuck to my uterus wall, but because I had no clue about endo I didn't think to ask why, and they never mentioned it. I then went onto the combined pill which calmed my ongoing bleeding problems (that I'd had due to a depo shot) and I had no issues to speak of until the last few years when I decided to stop taking the pill. Then after a year of pelvic (and pelvic floor pain) around my ovulation time, I went to see a GYN who prescribed at first the mini-pill, but I stopped taking it after a week and a half as I had extreme anxiety, after which I was then prescribed Dienogest (which I've been taking 5 months). Since then, most of my symptoms have been better (especially around ovulation time). I still get occasional irregular spotting and I've had irregular bleeding where I'll have a period occasionally. I also (and this is a strange symptom) have weird burning sensations on and off around my pelvic floor and rectal area which I'm not sure if it's related to my pelvic floor issues or endo.

Just was worried due to this random strange bleeding that's occurred now. I guess my main fear is that it's not just the endo and it's possibly something sinister. :(

Thread Information