Thread: Bite on foot

Bite on foot

My rabies fear has returned. I have seen bats flying around my property over the years. Not a ton but some. I have never seen any roosting on my property. My daughter received rabies vaccination a few years ago when a probable bat flew up between her arms from a swing she went to sit in one evening. It cost $8000 at the end of the day. Insurance doesn't pay for it. We have had a bat fly into our house through an open window before. It was about 8 years ago now. It happened before I had any fear of rabies and I did nothing except shoo the bat out the door. My parents live in condo overlooking the bridge in Austin (close to where I live) from which thousands of bats emerge every night. They are a beautiful sight.
    6 nights ago I was out on the playground on our property when something stung or bit my foot. It pinched then burned for several seconds. My best guess is that a scorpion was in the wood mulch and I somehow scooped it into my sandal when I went to sit down. I immediately knew it would trigger my rabies fear. We also have snakes. So I got down with my flashlight to investigate. My sister did too. We did not see a bat, snake, scorpion or spider. My foot continued to burn for a few minutes. I went inside to look at it. As far as I could tell there was 1 little red dot consistent with my scorpion theory. The scorpions here are not dangerous so I pushed away the bat thought and went back outside. There were 13 other people on the playground. Many of them children (little birthday party that went late). Nobody saw a bat. Bats cannot take flight from the ground so if there was one it couldn't have flown away. Did I miss a bat climbing under the table? This thought is haunting me. OCD is flaring. Is I even reasonable to go get an $8000 rabies shot under these circumstances? Haven't most people been bit by something unknown and just.. got on with their lives. What would you do? Thanks to everyone who has a moment to answer.

Re: Bite on foot

It really doesn't sound like a bat bite. Keep focusing on all the reasons you know it wasn't a bat.

Doest sound like it at all.

Sounds more like a mosquito or bug bit you. They love going for the feet and hands!

I get those pinprick/bitey feelings on my feet, legs, back and face all the time when I'm outdoors at night. I used to freak out about it, but then I think back to when I was kid and I'd be running around at dusk in sandals and a dress, with actual bats flying overhead, and I'd be getting nibbled by lots of bugs. Never thought twice.

I appreciate you both. Still working through this one. Having spikes of anxiety still but working through it.

Struggling tonight. If anyone has a moment to spare it all feels so real. Is been a few weeks since the bite on my foot and I'm analyzing, ruminating, trying not to google. Thinking I have a sore throat, noticing when my foot twitches. am I getting a fever?The fear is overwhelming.

I had the same fear when a bat actually flew by my head. I asked the doctors that I work with. They said even if it touched me and if it bit me the chances of it having rabies are really low. Usually if a bat is sick, you will see it on the floor. Acting sick. Majority of the times we get bit by bats with rabies are because they got too close to a bat that is actually sick on the floor trying to help it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information