Thread: Starting with Duloxetine

Starting with Duloxetine

Historically antidepressants didn't do much for my health anxiety. Tried different ones, Prozac, Zoloft, Lexapro, all for 6 months + and while there are no health issues I am fine, but I am fine without them as well. When I get scared, I go into full on OCD panic mode even when on them so figured what's the point?

Gonna try with Duloxetine. Doc prescribed me couple of months ago, side effects were horrible so I stopped, but HA has been really tough to deal with recently and I am looking for a magic bullet so I will endure the side effects. The most difficult ones to deal with were diarrhea, stomach pain and nausea. Had other ones as well but these were very annoying.

As per instructions, starting with 30mg, but will probably move to 60mg soon. And I know it takes at least a month to see any benefits. No benefits before, hopefully this time it will be different.

Re: Starting with Duloxetine

Nausea started 4 hours after I took the first dose on the full stomach. This medicine is pure evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo84 View Post
    Historically antidepressants didn't do much for my health anxiety. Tried different ones, Prozac, Zoloft, Lexapro, all for 6 months + and while there are no health issues I am fine, but I am fine without them as well. When I get scared, I go into full on OCD panic mode even when on them so figured what's the point?
    Health anxiety is on the OCD spectrum and before SSRIs and SNRIs became readily available the preferred ADs for OCD spectrum disorders were the TCA clomipramine (Anafranil) and the SSRI fluvoxamine (Luvox). Imo, they still have an edge over the newer meds.

The most difficult ones to deal with were diarrhea, stomach pain and nausea. Had other ones as well but these were very annoying.
    You could try loperamide (Imodium) for the diarrhea. I don't know what the situation is in Serbia, but here it is sold in supermarkets. However, I suggest you discuss its suitability with your pharmacist before trying it especially if you are also taking other medications. Also no alcohol while taking it. You shouldn't drink while on duloxetine anyway because it may harm the liver, plus alcohol worsens anxiety disorders (and depression). Loperamide will likely also ease the stomach pains. For nausea try ginger and/or vitamin B6 supplements. If they don't help ask your doctor to prescribe an anti nausea med.

As per instructions, starting with 30mg, but will probably move to 60mg soon. And I know it takes at least a month to see any benefits.
    ADs typically take 4-12 weeks to kick-in. Kick-in tends to take longer when you've been on ADs before.

Nausea started 4 hours after I took the first dose on the full stomach. This medicine is pure evil.
    The problem with all the SNRIs is they have very short half-lives which often produces more severe initial side-effects. Unfortunately, the usual way of reducing their impact by starting at a low dose and ramping it up by small increments is difficult with duloxetine as it is available in only relatively high dose pills which can't be easily 'cut' because stomach acid neutralizes the active chemical.

Thank you! I have a dance festival coming in this weekend and a wedding to attend next one, so I have to call my doc to ask him to start with meds after those events. Nausea and diarrhea are horrible. I can manage them probably if I don't have anything going on but if I have to travel it's really difficult.

I haven't heard of other medications you were referring to. I've never tried any of them, and they weren't suggested as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo84 View Post
    I haven't heard of other medications you were referring to. I've never tried any of them, and they weren't suggested as well.
    I'm not surprised your doctor hasn't suggested them. These days many have little experience of ADs other than the SSRIs and SNRIs plus maybe bupropion and mirtazapine. Even some psychiatrists have never prescribed the older meds. Which is a pity because they often work when the newer ones don't. Instead, they'll opt for anti-psychotics or give up.

Thread Information