Thread: gabapentinoids and synaptogenisis

gabapentinoids and synaptogenisis

Is it true that gabapentinoids inhibit synaptogenisis? How can this be a good thing? Wouldn't they negate the beneficial effects of a SSRI if taken in conjunction?

Re: gabapentinoids and synaptogenisis

Quote Originally Posted by olivia0703 View Post
    Is it true that gabapentinoids inhibit synaptogenisis? How can this be a good thing? Wouldn't they negate the beneficial effects of a SSRI if taken in conjunction?
    Yes, the gabapentinoids may inhibit synaptogenisis, but they tend to inhibit excitatory synapse growth more which may be beneficial. Their other main benefit is that, unlike the benzodiazepines which kill hippocampal brain cells, gabapentinoids increase the survival rate of new hippocampal cells in neurogenesis and may speed up their maturation a little.

While I'm not convinced they are good long-term anxiety treatments, they can make life a little easier in the short-term when taken to ease the heightened anxiety commonly experienced when starting ADs, for example. Synaptogenisis is also not a problem if gabapentinoids are the only meds being taken as they don't effect synapses of mature cells. It is only an issue during the growth phase.

Thanks so much! So would they have an impact on neuroplasticity, broadly speaking? I am just worried I am making myself stupid with them. I take 1200-1800mg a day, so not a massive dose, but coming off them spikes my anxiety to crazy levels. Interestingly, I am reading for pleasure again for the first time in about two decades. I am reading like when I was in my early 20s. I am also taking Lexapro 20mg, and am unsure what is behind the sudden and dramatic ability to focus. Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by olivia0703 View Post
    Thanks so much! So would they have an impact on neuroplasticity, broadly speaking?
    Quite likely. Whether it is significant is another matter. I guess it comes down to whether you're improving or getting worse. It sounds like it's the former for you.

I am just worried I am making myself stupid with them.
    Your comment about reading for pleasure again indicates the opposite.

I take 1200-1800mg a day, so not a massive dose, but coming off them spikes my anxiety to crazy levels.
    How are you coming off, a complete stop, or by weaning down with gradual reductions in dose? It should be the latter.

I am also taking Lexapro 20mg, and am unsure what is behind the sudden and dramatic ability to focus. Any thoughts?
    It might be the Lexapro, the gabapentin, both, serendipity, or Venus' transit into Scorpio, or whatever male bovine excreta astrologers are currently bedazzling their sucke...er...clients with. It pays to avoid dental examinations of gift horses, ime. Just enjoy the good days while they last. We get enough bad ones as it is without ruminating ourselves into more of them.

Hey, thanks for that thorough breakdown. Definitely weaning off when I try to stop. But you're right, I am looking for problems when I should just be appreciating not wanting to jump off a cliff. Cheers!

Thread Information