Thread: ENT tomorrow, very scared!

Unhappy ENT tomorrow, very scared!

So I had days ago one day when I all of a sudden got nausea, bitter taste in the mouth , a lot of random burping... Had some Manuka honey, and was careful for a few days after that with food and drinks. Stomach completely calmed down, burping diminished to what I believe is normal amount, bad taste disappeared, however.... since then, for days, I have a feeling in my throat, sort of burning , I have to clear my throat way too often, my voice seems different ( at least to me - like I am not able to speak in my normal voice, and it is lower too)...I am scared , and I managed to get an appointment with my ENT tomorrow, hoping it is some kind of silent reflux ( that I never had before, by the way, neither silent nor real reflux). What if it is not, or what if it is and will be hard to treat? I know I am overreacting, but that is why I am here, on the Forum, hoping to get some comfort and maybe advice? How can this feeling of burning stay for days on? Is silent reflux dangerous (LPR)? Very scared, to say the least. Thank you for any response.

Re: ENT tomorrow, very scared!

Dearest Lana!

Obviously I am not an ENT but I did take a graduate course in laryngology because I *wanted* to be one, for a while (the 30cm or so between the sinuses and the top of the stomach are fascinating! Literally includes everything that connects head and heart!)

If I recall correctly: A single drop of stomach acid placed on pig vocal cords (pigs are pretty close to humans), resulting in an acid burn, can take up to two full weeks to fully heal! So it is perfectly normal for a acid response to continue for a while.

I have LPR myself. My voice is seasonably messed up (depends on quantity of coffee, tea, and comfort food I consume -- so, always worse in fall and winter, which also coincides of course with the URI season here in the Northern Hemi.) I've just given up on it at this point. I like my caffeine too much to do anything about it.

At any rate, if the ENT sees nothing, then there is nothing to see and you should be fully reassured. (And drink more water, it helps )

Hello dear friend, and thank you so, so much for replying!

ENT gave me a very thorough exam, spent a lot of time with me - literally nothing ! He told me the same as you, and said that the change of season does have something to do with it.

Again, thank you so much - I hope you are doing very well. PM me when you have time.

Love, Lana

Lana, I'm so glad all is well!

BlueIris, thank you so much

Thread Information