Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chronic inflammation

Chronic inflammation

Hi guys

I think I'm just after a bit of reassurance really. I've seen that many diseases are caused by chronic inflammation (cancer, heart disease, dementia, etc.) And one of the main causes of inflammation are stress.

So I'm worried that my anxiety/stress since 2017 although at times has been manageable, is going to cause one of the diseases and I'm now fixating on it. Or that anytime I'm feeling anxious or stressed I'm causing internal damage, ergh. It's so draining.

I eat very well, take supplements and exercise regularly but I'm worried the stress/ anxiety is counteracting the good I'm trying to do for my body. Obviously, I'd like to minimise and reduce the stress and anxiety as much as possible but in the mean time I feel stuck in this vicious circle.

Re: Chronic inflammation

Anybody else struggle with this?

How did you move from MND to chronic inflammation? If anyone has a chronic stress that's me as my cortisol is always high (above normal range) but not high enough to be caused by anything other than stress. But there really is not point in fearing from stress causing a disease as so many people are under stress and while it probably raises odds, what can you do about it? Minimize stress I guess, but that's easier said than done, so basically, aside from eating healthy and exercising you can't do anything else.

Hi hypo84

I think it's because the two are sort of interlinked (chronic inflammation and neurodegenerative disease).

I've now managed to terrify myself into believing I definitely have MND, thanks to Dr Google. Apparently excess glutamate in the brain can cause neuronal cell death, leading to neurodegenrative disease, I.e. MND. And what causes glutamate build up in the brain? Chronic stress, ugh.

This has now exacerbated the twitching and the fear, so I'm stuck in this vicious cycle imagining glutamate is increasing in my brain and causing loads of damage.

I absolutely hate this.

Yeah, but chronic stress is very common and neurological diseases are fairly uncommon. If you look at all those "this can cause that" things, you will go insane. I mean, red meat can cause some cancers (increase risk)? I think I've seen that somewhere. Will I stop eating red meat, no way.

Yeah I get that. I just feel I'm the perfect candidate for getting mnd now. I feel like the worry is causing glutamate to build up and I'm slowly destroying motor neurons, I know I sound crazy. But I just feel this is it. I wish this anxiety could be zapped out my brain. How are you doing with the mnd fear?

Well, I can tell you that feeling that something is true doesn't make it true. That is a fact 100%.

I am not great, not going to lie as this excessive saliva thing is constant and dropling during sleep is a new thing as well.

However, I am going to therapist tomorrow. Maybe he will put me on some med that will reduce the fear. Historically, nothing was helping me with HA.

Sorry to hear you're not too good. Seeing a therapist is a great idea and I'm sure will help. Ah, are you not taking anything for the anxiety?

Ugh, I'm so taken away with the fact that I've done irreversible damage to my brain.

I can assure you with 99.9% confidence that you haven't done anything as that would mean I did the same thing and all other worries did the same thing which is statistically unlikely.

I am not on any meds right now. They don't really work for me any longer , like clonazepam did years ago. Antidepressants never really worked for my anxiety and I am not depressed so overall they didn't do anything. I am open to try a new one if that is what therapist suggests tomorrow. We will see.

I did do a search to discover whether stress or anxiety can cause mnd, with one study saying it doesn't. However high levels of glutamate in the brain are linked to anxiety and stress and high levels of glutamate in the brain can damage motor neurons. It's just all very conflicting and I wish I didn't get into it or research but it's hard when it's at yiur fingertips?!

Ah I'm sure something will work, sometimes it's worth trying something new that may work. I'm currently on citalopram and have been for six weeks. My anxiety definitely calmed around week 4 but now I feel its back woth a vengeance.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information