Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chronic inflammation

Re: Chronic inflammation

This is why I feel antidepresaants don't work because if they did you wouldn't have these thoughts now, or you need a higher dose maybe?

Anyway, what's there to research? Stress is definitely not the cause of mnd. Is stress damaging to our health, I am sure it is and it is raising odds of bunch of diseases. I think high blood pressure and diabetes are the ones that come to mind but it's not like all people there are stressed out get those. If it raises the odds for other diseases it's a minor effect. I am almost certain that polluted air is raising your risk of lung cancer more, not that you should be afraid of that.

Yeah, I'm not sure or it might still be a bit early, who knows? It's worth a shot though.

It's frustrating because I really consciously eat a very healthy diet, I exercise and take supplements that in theory should counteract the damage stress causes. However I'm still convinced I'm on deaths door.

Those are your feelings (being convinced). You can feel whatever you want; it doesn't make it true. The issue with any anxiety, including HA, is the desire for certainty in life, where no such certainty exists. For instance, you could die tomorrow in a car accident (if you drive), but that possibility doesn't deter you from driving. In that scenario, you aren't seeking certainty; you're merely accepting that the odds are slim. When you have HA, it's challenging to accept that the chances of something adverse happening are small, all because of the looming "what if". This question arises prominently when anxiety is in play. For matters that don't induce anxiety, the "what if" question rarely surfaces. For instance, individuals with a fear of public speaking are constantly plagued by "what if" scenarios related to public speaking. The same goes for those with social anxiety in social situations and so forth.

I understand all of this rationally. What I'm yet to grasp is how to combat anxiety, especially when emotions tend to overpower the rational mind. Arguing with emotions is futile; they always win. Acceptance might be the solution to this, but how to practically accept the possibility of dying soon is beyond me.

I'm totally with you on that. It's always the uncertainty that plays havoc on our minds. I guess with HA, it's the thought that we 'may' have a disease but our minds convincing us we most certainly do, it's incredibly frustrating.

I'm with you on the acceptance. I think, if I just accept that I have MND for example, then at least I can accept my fate as the worst case scenario and time will tell..... but then I still manage to freak out.

You shouldn't accept that you have MND as that is not something you know for certain. You have to accept that you might have MND, and you might not. In my opinion, odds of you having it are well below 1% but whatever, let's say the chance exists.
    You are freaking out since you haven't accepted that, and when I figure out how to do that, I will tell you.

Yeah you're right, in just utterly convinced I do have it, it's just making me miserable. I want to live and have ambition and enjoy life. But I feel like I have a dark cloud of imminent death hovering over me, its just no fun. If only there was a cure for such a terrible disease.

I hope you're doing okay, when is your appointment?

Had it yesterday. The doc said I have somatoform disease (not hypochondria) although those two sound very similar to me. Baically, my anxiety is causing physical symptoms. She said that I don't need antidepressants but should use antipsychotic "off-label" as it reduces dopamine levels and it can help.

Honestly, when reading through adverse effects, I am not so sure about it. I've managed to live with the health anxiety for the past 12 years or so and I am doing fine (aside from being anxious). I've never being afraid of taking medications in my life, just rationally, when I read what can happen, I am like, what the heck...I would only take this if if there was absolutely no other cure.

Somatoform disease? Wow, not heard of that one? Although I feel most anxiety causes physical symptoms? How do you feel about that diagnosis?

Oh geeze, yeah reading side effects of medications can definitely exacerbate symptoms, but hopefully in the long-term they'll provide relief from the anxiety.

Somatoform disorder is just a fancy term for health anxiety. Obviously there are different types of HA, and this is one of them.
    You have some physical symptoms caused by something benign ir anxiety - you are thinking irrationally about them - once you do all the test you calm yourself down then you get some other symptoms - and the cycle continues.

According to this psychiatrist hypochondriacs are people who visit the doctor's office frequently and believe that their particular disease can't be detected by available tools.

That's probably a correct distinction technically, but to me, both are HA, manifesting itself in different ways.

That sounds exactly what I'm suffering from. Symptoms will stop which will subsequently stop the worry of whichever disease but then something else will crop up triggering anxiety about another disease, vicious cycle!

Having a bad day today

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information