Thread: Spotting for months now, I'm really struggling with it

Spotting for months now, I'm really struggling with it

Could just do with a little bit of reassurance here, I know I shouldn't but I'm really freaking out.

I've been spotting for 4 or 5 months now on and off, it usually starts anywhere from a few days after my period ends and goes on until about a few days after ovulation.
    I didn't have it last month which was a relief but it's happening again now. Just been to the bathroom and had a large piece of brown discharge.
    I'm booked in for an ultrasound in 2 weeks but I'm just struggling with it happening again this month.
    I'm 46 but when I mentioned perimenopause to the doctor a few months ago she didn't think it could be that. There's something about doctors here and peri - they don't seem to believe much in it. So I'm confused if it's a sign of peri or something more serious.

Re: Spotting for months now, I'm really struggling with it

Have you had any ultrasounds or tests done before? I ask because things like fibroids and polyps can cause brown spotting / discharge (I've been going through something very similar to you but at the start of my period) I've got a fibroid and recently had a cervical polyp removed.

I know what you're feeling so well, it's so frustrating when it happens and hard to control the panic but from what I do know, it's more often than not a benign reason that causes spotting.

I'm so sorry you're struggling, health anxiety and period issues are so tough, do you have anything nice planned or that you can do to distract yourself when you feel yourself freaking out?

Also old blood can stay up there until your next cycle, a lot of doctors will not discuss peri, I have brown discharge before and after periods ever since I first started at 12 and nothing wrong.

Sorry I'm only coming back to this thread now, and thank you both for your replies. Your replies did help me x

I had the ultrasound today. I also had a camera put inside me for a look around. The results won't go back to my doctor for about a week so I just have to sit and wait now.
    I don't know if I'm overthinking this but when the camera was inside me and she was looking at her screen (which I couldn't see), she asked me if I was experiencing any pain along with the spotting, which I had told her earlier was the reason I was there.
    I haven't had any pain but am wondering if she saw something with the camera that might be of concern, or am I over reacting, as I usually do?

I'm really in a panic here. I just got a text message from the doctor saying that my ultrasound results are back and I'm to make an appointment to go in and see her.
    Of course I can't ring now cause the surgery is closed.
    I'm really scared that she wants me to go in because something showed up in the ultrasound. Any advice anyone, could really do with some kind words now

I just made an appointment with the doctor for next Tuesday, can't get in there any sooner.
    I hate this waiting, it's driving me nuts. Especially when I know my results are there but I can't get them. I don't understand why she won't give them to me over the phone. I actually thought that was normal practice.
    I can't stop worrying about it and I don't know how I'll get through the next 5 days. Having HA really sucks when you're waiting to get results

so how did your test turn out?

8. Re: Spotting for months now, I'm really struggling with it

Hi do not worry !! This is normal behavior having spotting and brown discharge during perimenopause.

Thread Information