Thread: Blood pressure

Blood pressure

Been a long time since I posted but having a real hard time atm, went to doctors last week about something totally different was very anxious going in and they took my BP, it was very high 160/104. Which sent me into further panic, they gave me a home monitor and asked me to do it in morning and night and make a diary. My morning readings at home although still anxious have varied from 115/135 on top line and 82/95 on bottom line. The evening ones are a lot worse the first one is always really high and I try to calm myself down before taking again, again the readings have varied from 137/150 and bottom 90/101. I am constantly anxious and the thought of taking it has made me even worse, question I’m asking has anyone else had this issue, could it be super high BP or anxiety! I think they are lower in the morning as I haven’t given myself time to get worked up? Any advise welcome please I’m not functioning very well!

Re: Blood pressure

Just had a message to book with a hypertension nurse but app not for a month not sure I’m going to last a month with my anxiety

Quote Originally Posted by ShortyW84 View Post
    Just had a message to book with a hypertension nurse but app not for a month not sure I’m going to last a month with my anxiety
    Hi Shorty, I have found over time that my BP rises considerably when I am going through a period of bad anxiety. I also get white coat syndrome going to the doctors and its hard to find a suitable time during periods of constant anxiety to get a true reading, especially if taking the reading is making you anxious.

I am going through a bad spell myself presently with anxiety, I am not sure if it is this time of year that causes it to trigger but Ive had bad spells of it for the last 30 odd years so have resigned myself to finding ways to live with it rather than trying to get rid of it all together.

It might be worth setting aside an hour and doing something that focuses your mind on something else as a distraction (I know its easier said than done) I find a hot bath with some lavendar oil and reading a good book helps to settle me down a bit before bed, although sometimes end up reading the same page 3 times if my mind is wandering, or doing a crossword / sudoku etc. Then try and take a reading once you have settled a bit if you can.

The NHS waiting times are not ideal for anxiety sufferers, but then I guess your doctor would have fast tracked you if they thought that there was a potential risk, I assume they are aware of your anxiety also.

Hope you feel better soon anyway.

Thank you for your reply that has reassured me I think having to track my BP instantly sent me into a spin, I tried relaxing but as soon as I picked it up my HR increase loads so hope that is what also caused the increase in BP, I have my appointment tomo so hoping I can relax before hand, they gave me a low does of beater blockers a month ago to help with my panic and anxiety and my HR has decreased a lot and feeling calmer just darent pick up the BP machine incase it’s still high or I panick again. guess I’m waiting until tomorrow to see what is said. Thank you so much for taking the time to reply :-)

Ps hope you start to feel better and enjoy the Xmas period

Thread Information