Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: There cutting down lots of trees in my area. I feel sad.

There cutting down lots of trees in my area. I feel sad.

You know that feeling when you know of somebody who has died, but didn't really know them well enough? Well I feel like this right now.

Next to where I live there was a small wooded area and some grass land. I've been walking the dog on it since I've been here and it felt quite safe because it was literally next door to my home.

There's over 100 trees there. Some older than me. There were at least 2 foxes living in there because we seen them every night. Haven't seen the foxes now for a good 5 days. Something is off because I always see them.

I walked the dog this morning and noticed half of the trees were gone. I've no idea how they've done this so quickly. Practically overnight! I was just making a cup of tea and noticed trees going down.

It feels deeply sad. I don't know why. Trees are alive, and they provide homes for nature. This area has lots of nature. My dog sat on the grass looking at the missing trees and he looked confused.

I just stood there staring thinking "This is such a shame. This isn't right".

The foxes will now have to relocate to the wooded area across the road. But there lies the problem. The roads. Poor things :(

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Re: There cutting down lots of trees in my area. I feel sad.

They are doing the same here. I had trees surrounding my street and since 2020 they've been cut down and everything looks so bare now.
    They have replanted the trees in some places already but it will be along time before they grow up into the trees and make a proper forest.

Same here. Making way for drive of housing.

I feel the same wired. Like a jolt to the stomach, a sick feeling and sadness.
    We need trees. They give us oxygen and homes for the wildlife. Walks with dogs and us humans.

I'm sad to say it's happening all over the country.

The reason we still have purple toadflax flowering in our garden, halfway through November, is due to climate change brought on by human activity. Deforestation is a major driver of climate change, all those leaves absorb carbon dioxide and give out oxygen as a by-product of photosynthesis. Take away the trees and you get higher levels of carbon dioxide, not to mention trapped methane escaping from the melting ice of our polar regions.

What we need to be doing now is planting, not felling trees. Especially when those saplings won't be producing 'mature tree' levels of oxygen for decades. The problem is short term gain taking priority over the bigger picture. The bottom line is there's too many of us on the planet, along with all our livestock giving out vast quantities of methane, a gas that's about 28 times more effective at trapping heat than CD. Hence the temperatures now seen in Europe that we'd normally see in the Sahara desert.

Even if tree felling stopped right now the world over, this process has been set in motion.

May be forestry management. Some forests, I think I depends on the tree type/mix need thinning. I think if you just leave some forests they reach a point of growth. Then the forests become unhealthy and slowly die, I believe if the canopy is too thick, nothing will grow on the forest floor, wildlife vanishes, trees die.

I know here, there is an effort by some to protect the prairie. Only like 4% of the tallgrass prairie remains in the US, which is incredibly sad. I live in town currently so can't plant a prairie, but I bought a bunch of native wildflower/grass seeds and am dedicating part of my backyard to replanting them. Every little bit helps, hopefully they stay even after I sell the house.

I wish we could really start an effort in the US to bring the bison back in large numbers. They are so vital to the ecosystem and would be a better alternative to beef (which is probably why it's not overly pushed, but beef is honestly becoming unsustainable).
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

Apparently climate change is all a big hoax/myth?

Over my dead body!!

I took the dog for a walk this evening and it feels bare. A sad loss, most defiantly.

The swiftness of it is mind boggling. One day there was all these huge thick trees, the next day they were gone.

2 nights ago I walked the dog and noticed a patch of trees missing. But, I chalked it up to me not noticing there was never trees there in the first place. The leaves were undisturbed. No reason to suspect trees were removed. And the next day, it was all gone ... and still the leaves looked undisturbed. It's not a small patch of land, fairly big. I'll get a picture tomorrow. Surreal. I predict they're going to build a row of apartment's that match the ones on the opposite side of the road. Cramming us all in like sardine tins with fancy brickwork.

I shouldn't be moaning. I buy wood. I buy books. I build things with wood. But when it happens on your own doorstep it feels personal.

Also, I use the large leaves that fall from the trees as like toilet paper. Put it over the dog mess, pop the bag over, easy to clean and you don't have to look at it ... but now I can't do that. I'll need to buy more kitchen roll and use that instead, which costs more trees

And finally, on that topic, what if you're walking doggy in the woods and you have a backpack spade can you dig a hole to put the poop? It'll biodegrade anyway? I'm feeling a bit in "save the planet, reuse everything" mode.
    Last edited by WiredIncorrectly; 14-11-23 at 23:24.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    One day there was all these huge thick trees, the next day they were gone. ...
    Very sad, and going on everywhere all the time nowadays. The grinding whine of chainsaws rips through my soul.

Quote Originally Posted by Pain View Post
    Very sad, and going on everywhere all the time nowadays. The grinding whine of chainsaws rips through my soul.
    They woke me up. The noise reminds me of the mechanical grinding in the Terminator.

☪️️

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information