Thread: To test or not to test?

To test or not to test?

Hey everyone,

I'm in my latest IBS funk. Diarrhea on and off for a weeks. I've had good days but some bad too. Rationally it's classic IBS, but what has bothered me for all those years is how can you be sure. Should I test the living daylight out of myself, or assume this is IBS? For me once I have sudden weightloss or blood in my poo I will go to the doc, but on bad days I have doubts and want to reassure myself?
    I have been tested before on something else, those 3 months of uncertainty were hell, I don't want to experience that again.

How do you judge it for yourself? To test or not to test?

Re: To test or not to test?

Well might as well update. I have been having loose stools for more than a week. I have to go like 4 times a day. I have had this a few years earlier, it went away, but it's still really stressfull. I have a full time job and two adorable but busy kids. I realise it's probably stress and anxiety, but I'm dreading a doctors visit. Familiar for anyone?

Do you follow a food map? It might be worth speaking to someone about which foods might be a trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Carnation View Post
    Do you follow a food map? It might be worth speaking to someone about which foods might be a trigger.
    To be honest my diet has been crap the last few weeks, a lot of stress eating and junkfood. I guess my colon does not tolerate it anymore. I'm backing off from the crap, had mucus today too....

I just can't seem to catch a break. Loose stool every day, some days close to diarrhea. I've had one day with normal formed stool and then back to loose again. It's incredibly stressful, is it stress, is it food allergy? Not losing weight, no blood, no pain. I'm terribly afraid of the big c, this has been going on for 2 months now. Don't know why I'm posting this, hope to look back a few months later and realise it was nothing

As Carnation suggested, check out the FODMAP DIET. Download the info, track what you're eating and how your body reacts. My wife have been on this for years and it's definitely helped. Tracking is vital as all foods deemed negative may not be that way for you and the same is true for good foods. For example, cooked onions and garlic are fine for us but raw? Different story And the opposite is true for tomatoes. We can eat raw tomatoes and be fine but tomato sauce. pizza etc. tear us up! Also take into consideration that it took a while for things to get to this point and it will take a while for things to settle down so don't go catastrophizing and feeding the dragon.

Check out the link, give it some earnest effort and I know you'll see some positive results. In the mean time, OTC remedies for digestive issues do help. So some antacid and anti-diarrheal remedies can help with physical symptoms.

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    As Carnation suggested, check out the FODMAP DIET. Download the info, track what you're eating and how your body reacts. My wife have been on this for years and it's definitely helped. Tracking is vital as all foods deemed negative may not be that way for you and the same is true for good foods. For example, cooked onions and garlic are fine for us but raw? Different story And the opposite is true for tomatoes. We can eat raw tomatoes and be fine but tomato sauce. pizza etc. tear us up! Also take into consideration that it took a while for things to get to this point and it will take a while for things to settle down so don't go catastrophizing and feeding the dragon.

Check out the link, give it some earnest effort and I know you'll see some positive results. In the mean time, OTC remedies for digestive issues do help. So some antacid and anti-diarrheal remedies can help with physical symptoms.

FMP
    As always thanks for the in depth reply. I will use the link, I found out yesterday lactose free milk still puts me on the toilet immediately, which a year ago was just fine. I'm in the midst of figuring out what triggers and what does not, so this helps.
    I have a new stressful job since a year, and since that time things seem to have gone worse for me, so there's probably a build-up. I'll keep you updated, thanks!

It's worth a try Arie. And once you find out what works for you, you can still have the occasional treat food.

Arie, I hope you figured things out, right now I am dealing with a dodgy tummy, like you I ate like crap Tuesday and woke up wed with watery stool all day and all day yesterday. I've only been sipping water as I want to give my bowels and stuff a rest and then the anxiety flares up.

Thread Information