Thread: Does anybody have ADHD? I'm being tested for it.

Does anybody have ADHD? I'm being tested for it.

Went to my appointment with psychiatrist today. Went ok, but I had a panic attack mid session and he left the room to give me space. That just made me worse! I wanted to run, but I was far from home and had nowhere to run to. I asked him to get a nurse to check my pulse because my heartbeat was skipping constantly. He reassured me it was just the anxiety and left me to take some deep breaths and got me some water.

My Quetiapine has been upped to 400mg. Which is not good because 50mg makes me drowsy, and tired. That's a big jump. Other meds been upped too.

I was in there for nearly 2 hours. Had to explain my whole life. I explained a lot, but also left a lot out because I forgot my journal.

I'm being tested for ADHD. Which makes sense. I didn't know you can have ASD and ADHD. Apparently it's common and he sees it a lot. I've got 4 different anxiety disorders, and they're related to being on the spectrum. He said he sees it a lot too.

I don't respond well to anti depressants, which means the anxiety and depression is a symptom being caused by something else. He says other patients he treats for this combination of illnesses respond well to higher doses of quetiapine.

Also I'm not mad! Thank goodness. I thought I might have something more serious like schizophrenia. So that's good news.

I've got my next appointment after Christmas I think. Also being referred for one to one treatment with somebody who specializes in treating this. Waiting list is long is the only problem. He said 12 months.

I've forget what else he said.

I'm interested to know more about ADHD. I don't have hyperactivity. I thought this was a requirement for the diagnosis, but he said its not. It does explain a few problems I have. I can never finish a project, and I'm easily sidetracked. I'll start one thing, and then start something else mid way through.

I'd be interested to know how ADHD affects other people.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Re: Does anybody have ADHD? I'm being tested for it.

My general attention span has been a bit haywire these past few days but I don't think that amounts to ADHD, which of course I don't ever recall having any assessments for, let alone an official diagnosis.

Ye I hear that lenco like a label for everything these days it seems im so tired and out of it can barely type

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

My therapist is also convinced I have ADHD, which never occurred to me. I had a very different view of ADHD. But looking up the traits in adult women, it's exactly who I am!
    I would like to get formally assessed for it, because she thinks a lot of my anxiety comes from my ADHD. And I would love to at least try ADHD medication to see if that calms me. Because like you SSRI's don't agree with me!

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkling_Fairy View Post
    My therapist is also convinced I have ADHD, which never occurred to me. I had a very different view of ADHD. But looking up the traits in adult women, it's exactly who I am!
    I would like to get formally assessed for it, because she thinks a lot of my anxiety comes from my ADHD. And I would love to at least try ADHD medication to see if that calms me. Because like you SSRI's don't agree with me!
    Hey SF, that sounds very similar to me. SSRI's have never really worked well for me and I've pretty much given up on hope of an SSRI helping. It's been 22 years I've been on them and there's never been any significant improvement. Was dx'ed with Aspergers, and studies show 50-70% of people with aspergers also have ADHD.

Are you going through testing at the moment? I hope you too are able to find some answers and treatment.

I've got to take my meds shortly, and this increase is kicking my backside. Can hardly move that's how tired they made me.

☪️️

I'm not getting diagnosed yet, from what I hear it's a very complicated process in Ireland. but I have to go back to my GP soon to get some prescriptions renewed, so I'll talk to him about how I can go about getting diagnosed.

Explain to doctor your therapist mentioned ADHD, and you've taken a deeper look and you feel you may have it. Make some notes on the similarities with your own behaviours, and ADHD. Sadly it's often quicker and easier to go private.

I'm having extreme anger at the moment as a result of taking this increased dose. I don't even have a short fuse, I have no fuse at all. I'm going to relocate the doggy for 2 weeks to the ex's until these have settled in. It's a struggle to take him to the garden atm.

☪️️

Yeah, I don't mind going private if that will speed things along. Not sure if that's a possibility here, apparently it's just really convoluted in Ireland to get a diagnosis.

Sorry you're struggling with the higher dose. I couldn't even handle half of 25mg! I spent a week in bed with cold sweats, shaking, unable to keep my eyes open yet also not sleeping. It was horrible! I called my GP and she said: yeah that's not normal, stop taking them. And now I'm on a beta blocker to block most of the physical symptoms, and also to prevent migraines which I've had for over 20 years, and I physically feel a lot better. But mentally I'm still not great!
    Hang in there! I hope you can get some relief soon.

Thread Information