Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dental Advice Please

Dental Advice Please

Hi

I have a real worry at the moment and wonder if any one can offer advice.

I have a real BIG fear of the dentist and over the last week things are getting me down.

My teeth are in quite good order to say i dont visit the dentist, but i have a wisdom tooth at the back that as broken down to my gum. The last week or so i have had a awful taste in my mouth all the time im constantly washing my mouth out with mouth wash to get rid of the awful taste, its obviously coming from my tooth as it must be just rotting away. Im really scared of the dentist and im also afraid they will tell me i will have to go in hospital to have it taken out.
    As anyone else had a wisdom tooth taken out that as broke and if so did you have to go to the hospital. I cant stand this awful taste in my mouth much longer and i know i should go to the dentist, but i am so afraid!

Love

Andrea
    xxxxx

Re: Dental Advice Please

I think I'm probably the last person in the world to give advice on the Dentist as I am phobic, however, I would guess that if you go for a check-up you'll be told how they're going to treat your tooth. It may not be as bad as you imagine and at least you'll be able to ask a few questions about it. I had a broken off tooth extracted 5 years ago. It was done at the dentist surgery and was quick and pain free, though after the injection wore off my gum was sore. Good luck.

Dentist usually take out wisdom teeth the same as a normal tooth, I have had 3 wisdoms out and they were all done at the dentist. A broken tooth usually comes out easier than whole one.

Carol

Got toothache myself at the mo hun which is where the gums are slightly receding and exposing the dentine making them as sensitive as hell.

I also have a wisdom tooth lurking and get what you've described every few years or so but I havent got to the point of needing it out either.

I reckon they will x-ray it to see what the state of play is and then either recommend it comes out, or see if it calms down again which is what mine have been doing for the last 20 odd years.

Love Piglet

Hi
    Ive got a slight toothache at mo and horrible taste too have a hole in my back tooth and just rinse my mouth out with warm salty water it releives the oain and cleans the tooth too. I know im gonna have to go but last time the dentist said leave it in till you feel you need it out as i havent many on the top had broken a few and had them out and i didnt feel a thing also im a phobic too just took diazipan before so i guess im cheating . Good luck
    Let us know how you get on.
    Take care
    Anne x

Hi Andrea

Just go and have a chat with the dentist

I went to a new one today......told her I was scared and she was lovely

Got to have all sorts done to gob in new year but Im cool with it!!!

And years ago had a broken tooth out and it was easy!!!

I dont know why I hate dentists cos never been hurt by one......I think its the same as flying or catching a train you are not in control, but how often in life are you???

Luv Kaz x x x

Andrea,

I have had all my wisom teeth out and it was fine. I put if off for years and but in the end I just went and got two taken out on one side in my lunch hour from work! Three weeks later I went and had the other two done on the other side. It was all done by my dentist under local anaesthesia. Two of mine were badly broken down and rotting too and one had snapped off but they came out quite easily. For my bottom wisdom teeth they had to take the tooth next to the wisdom tooth on each side aswell as the wisdom tooth root was under that tooth but that is rare and it was no problem anyway.
    In fact I said to the dentist when will the first one be out and he said he had already done it, I did not feel a thing, maybe some slight pressure but no pain.

They do occasionally say people need them out in hospital but it's rare and they could tell you that with an x-ray anyway normally. I was offered to go to hospital for mine if I preferred but I choose to have it done at the dentist.
    I had no real pain afterwards either, was slightly sore but nothing major if I remember right. I had to wash the area with salt water for a few days but it healed quite quick.

Good luck

Lisa x

Hi

And thankyou all for your replies, it makes me feel better knowing others havent had any problems with having wisdom teeth extracted, i know things will only get worse before better so i really do need to get it sorted. Im sure it will have to be taken out because the tooth thats left is in my gum,and like Carol says hopefully because there is little tooth left it will hopefully come out easier , Im going to try the salt water method too, hopefully that will stop the awful taste in my mouth so thanks for that.

Right im gonna stop been a wussy and get it sorted, im no longer registered with a dentist, is it just a matter of ringing up any dentist to make a appointment?

Thanks everyone, will let you know what happens.

Love and hugs

Andrea
    xxxxxx

Andrea,

If you want treatment on the NHS you would need to register with a dentist that is taking on new NHS patients - not many dentists are in some areas so you may have to phone around and see who has space. Many have waiting lists for NHS patients to join the practice, but will often see you anyway if it is urgent.

If you are happy to have private treatment instead it should be easy to find a dentist to see you.

Lisa x

Hi Lisa

Thankyou for the advice, i will probably go private dont want to be hanging around waiting, want it sorted quickly then less time for me to worry..lol, will ring them tommo.

Once again thanks alot Lisa

Andrea
    xxxxxxxx

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information