Thread: Relapsing, worrying about bowels...

Relapsing, worrying about bowels...

Some background, I'm 38/F (nearly 39) diagnosed with possible UC via flexible sigmoidoscopy in 2018. I also was told it's probably predominantly IBS as my symptoms swing more towards that side of things usually.

However the last year or so I've been feeling more and more concerned about things, and it's getting to the point I'm convinced I have something sinister going on. Since Feb/March this year I've had some pain around the rectal area (burning/stinging, and tailbone pain - sometimes happens after bowel movement, but can happen hours after.) I know I have hemmorhoids though, so that could be what this is. I've also had very uncomfortable abdominal cramps and an urgency to go to the toilet for a BM up to 4 times a day.

I've also noticed black specks in my stool, which at first I assumed could be because I take iron supplements on and off (not strong ones, just over the counter ones). But now I'm thinking otherwise since I don't always take them daily and the last couple months my stools have been messy, loose and smell metallic (as well as noticing the occasional black specks). I also have noticed I've had some weight loss since a month and a half ago - going from 60kg at the beginning of October to currently 58.9kg (I don't know if this is significant.) I was 59.6kg in March 2023 though.. but 61kg 2 years ago. Then again I've also been stressed and anxious..

Regardless, the black specks, the smell and the abdominal cramps/urgency have me worried about something sinister. I had a FIT test for my stool this month, which came back negative. I also had CRP blood test, which was fine and fecal calprotectin which was in the normal range. My FBC is still on the lower side though it's hovering just about the border for the lower end of normal (127 .. usually it's 120+ for women at the lab here). I was below that though earlier this year.

Do any of these signs point to something bad? I'm very anxious and it's driving me crazy but I also know my health anxiety is probably making me think the worst. Plus there's the fact the FIT test doesn't always catch things. I saw my IBD nurse yesterday who said with the blood results/stool results she doesn't sound too worried. I can either go for a colonoscopy in the next few months (which I'm scared to do because of the prep and how stressful it would be on my system - plus a bunch of other reasons like having to book a hotel since I'm not near the hospital, only have one bathroom here, money etc.) Or I can go for a flexible sigmoidoscopy again (I had my last one two years ago -normal result) just to have a quick look at the lower end and then do the colonoscopy when I'm able to in the near future.

I'm kind of stuck deciding what to do. Does it sound like something I should be rushing to sort? The symptoms of foul smell/urgency/loose stool also come and go, it went away for about a week but has kicked off again today for some reason.

Hopefully someone can give me a peace of mind or some kind of idea what could be causing this...

PS: Worth noting I had antibiotics (two weeks worth) back in September for a skin infection/abscess that was causing issues, so could this also be a potential cause even two months after finishing them? I've been having probiotics lately but it's only a low dose so I don't know if it's helping anything.

Re: Relapsing, worrying about bowels...

LuSmith,

If I were you, I would ask them to test the stool for Clostridium Difficile . What prompted me to tell you this that you keep on mentioning "metallic smell". What kind of antibiotics were you on?

When I had C Diff almost 8 years ago, the symptoms started showing after more than a month of taking them. And if you were by any chance on Clindamycin, that is the absolute worse offender for C Diff, especially for women ( do not know why, but there are numerous studies).

FIT is actually pretty reliable, and your flexible sigmoidoscopy was not that long ago, plus you are still young for something really sinister.

All the best to you,

Lana

Re: Relapsing, worrying about bowels...

Quote Originally Posted by Lana View Post
    LuSmith,

If I were you, I would ask them to test the stool for Clostridium Difficile . What prompted me to tell you this that you keep on mentioning "metallic smell". What kind of antibiotics were you on?

When I had C Diff almost 8 years ago, the symptoms started showing after more than a month of taking them. And if you were by any chance on Clindamycin, that is the absolute worse offender for C Diff, especially for women ( do not know why, but there are numerous studies).

FIT is actually pretty reliable, and your flexible sigmoidoscopy was not that long ago, plus you are still young for something really sinister.

All the best to you,

Lana
    Yeah I was thinking I would ask them to test for bacteria and stuff, since they didn't actually do that for some reason. I was on the antibiotics Clarithromycin (two weeks worth), which I think might be similar.
    What was the treatment for C Diff? I'm a little worried it'll be MORE antibiotics lol.
    I'm hoping the FIT is as reliable as said.. I might ask them to repeat it again if poss in a couple weeks anyway. My flexible sigmoidoscopy in 2018 diagnosed microscopic UC, but the one in 2021 I had was normal and my CRP/fecal calprotectin has been fairly stable since.

Thanks for the reply, it helps to get more ideas of what I might be able to ask the GP.

Thread Information