Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Songs/Music that says it better than you can

Re: Songs/Music that says it better than you can

We all have those times when we sit and reflect on our lives, the decisions we've made, the experiences and events etc. and feel a longing in our hearts and a very different type of 'what if?' comes to our minds. As I'm getting older, I've found myself struggling with the reality of time. I'm so very fortunate. Having survived physical issues that would have taken most, I'm very blessed. And not just physically. With those health problems came financial issues. I basically started over in my fifties. My wife and I had married in 2014 and both of us had nothing. Seriously, it was paycheck to paycheck and we had both filed bankruptcies. Now, here we are nearly ten years later, we have good jobs, paid off debt, built our credit, bought the home we'd been renting for ten years and actually have some savings. While we don't live extravagantly by any means, we can afford a meal out a few times a month and a few days away traveling to see family or something we'd like to do or see.

And that, looking at the positives as opposed to the negatives and dwelling on 'what if's' is the key. I've said here that the biggest regrets we have are the things we didn't do due to fear. At least if you try, you'll have that in your back pocket as a pat on the back if you fail and failing is a part of life. The 'Positive Thoughts' thread is an example of a habit to keep Positive Thoughts in the front of your mind and make a concerted effort to put the negativity aside. Since my 30's, when I divorced and my life took a very different path, there were challenges. One of the things I did to help me keep a positive attitude was read a Positive Thought or quote. I subscribed to a website I found and have been getting Positive Quotes every day in my email. I've post most of those here over the last 8 years. I would even take a sticky and write it down, stick it to the bathroom mirror so I'd see it every time I went that day

I've been a Colin Hay fan since his Men at Work days and have had the opportunity to see him perform solo several times. Truly, one of my favorite artists. I perform several of his songs in the "Scrubs" mini set I do. I play a 'mini-set' of songs from the TV show Scrubs. Colin and his music were featured on the show. This song was in one of the episodes and speaks to the subject I'm speaking of. What's really interesting are the mindset of the storytellers. Colin is expressing his thoughts and then he sings the words of his partner who tells him to 'open up your heart, let the light shine in' (the positive thought) and his response is the title of the song. Makes you wonder what that 'real life' really is doesn't it? Is there even a definition or is it just inner peace?

Waiting For My Real Life to Begin - Colin Hay

FMP

EDIT: I've come realize that music for me is therapy and self help. Listening and performing allows me to get the reassurance I seek and be able to express myself and my feelings. That said, there have been times I've sought help in the form of real life therapy and meds but music has been the real life saver for me. What's your lifesaver? Grab onto it with both hands and help yourself.
    Last edited by Fishmanpa; 07-12-23 at 19:26.
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

That's a very deep post fishman.
    Music has been my saviour too. Listening and playing. And so much that my soul partner is a musician. Lol.
    I have the radio on the background most days. Music in the car. I listen to one of my CDs to suit my mood. I'm drawn to shops with music playing. I often choose a music documentary to watch on TV or something music related.
    Music can lift my spirits, give me courage, make me smile, and make me remember.
    Thank goodness for music.

One of my favorite artists is Peter Gabriel. I got to see him on the last tour before he left Genesis and went solo. I've seen him several times solo and was at the Secret World Live show when they came through back in the 90's (that was an absolutely incredible show! Check out the videos). This is the last song I do in my 'Songs from the TV show Scrubs' mini-set. It's from the last episode and final season of Scrubs (the show did continue for another season but the main characters were gone and it wasn't the same and went off the air). JD was finishing his residency and leaving the hospital. The video captures the hopes and dreams of his future. We've all been standing at the open door of our future and in many ways, do it every day.

I sang this to my wife when we married and this song holds a very special place in my heart. Those of you who know that kind of love and bond will understand why.

The last scene from Scrubs

This is a lot like the version I do.

FMP
    Last edited by Fishmanpa; 08-12-23 at 20:13.
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

I want to share my solo CD I released in 2011. All the songs hold a very special place in heart. It also shows my heart. I've gotten a lot a flack lately about my replies but if you look at my history, it's the same now as it was then. You'll know more about me but no worries Yes, I don't suffer as severely as most of you suffer but I have suffered and struggled. I've fought the dragon. The difference is I did what I needed to do to get myself on track.

Anyway.... here you go. This song I wrote after my 1st heart attack. I was working in a large church as Creative Arts Director and organized and produced the video, imagery and music for the services. While I was there, we grew to two services on Sunday and one during the week. I left the church after my experience with death and I can tell you first hand, religion is BIG business. The amount of $$ I saw come in during the week was mind boggling. Even more mind boggling were the benefits the pastor and board members garnered. I won't get into my spiritual beliefs, but suffice it to say, they've changed. This song was when I was questioning my faith.

Check out my arrangement of 'Silent Night'. For the guitar players it's in open D tuning. It features one of the very best mandolin players ever and a client of mine when I was in the music industry, Emory Lester.

Mark "T" - Desperate Man'

FMP
    Last edited by Fishmanpa; 08-12-23 at 22:53.

Another one from when my wife was ill and I didn't know if she would survive.

World Spins Madly On - The Weepies

FMP

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information