Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I lost my mum in September...

Re: I lost my mum in September...

Quote Originally Posted by Peter A View Post
    I wasn't diagnosed with PDD-NOS until 2007. I think my friend has something like this as well, as he's fixated on subjects like vintage records and model trains, and that's his primary focus. We met in college, because I studied performing arts.

I'm inclined to be socially awkward, as I just don't know what to say or do around other people who are neurotypical. In fact, I got up late today, and went to Lidl after 9 in the morning to get a cheap coffee drink, when I really intended to go in first thing just after 8, but I slept in. Because it's always busy in shops like that one, I walked out. So now I can feel a headache coming on. I find drinking coffee granules doesn't really beat the caffeine fix that I have from consuming the likes of Emmi iced coffee, or the bottled Starbucks stuff that's chilled.

If my sister doesn't watch out, she'll fall out with our dad too, then she'll have to cart her things out of the house and move elsewhere to live all alone. She probably wouldn't like that.

I'm a hoarder myself. I've been buying horror DVDs and Blu-rays for a long time. I'm trying to get every top ten box office hit released in the U.S. since the Variety magazine started covering the box office in 1922, with the exception of what they call "lost films" and ones that haven't been issued on home media yet for some reason. So while I enjoy that hobby, people could imply I'm a nerd, or a shut-in. It does use up all my finances, though. But it's just like, whatever. It's what I prefer to do to pass the time. A part of me knows I'm an intelligent guy with an impressive knowledge of films and also music. But recently I had a think to myself. Does all of this make a dent on people's perception of myself?

Well, I find this sidetrack entertaining, but who else my age even gives a damn? Only old people will know about these groups, actors, or whatever I'm talking about. We're the last of a dying breed. Anybody else may find it odd that I like things from that far back in time, because this generation seems to enjoy dismissing what's old and not considered to be marketable any longer. So this data processing lifestyle of mine probably only interests the likes of myself, or a very niche number of individuals. Anybody else my age (I'm 37, by the way) is more into Netflix or the pop music that's on the airwaves or Spotify and whatnot today, like Taylor Swift and all these big names you probably know about. So if I was to talk to young people about, I don't know. Let's say I cast up a converation covering synthpop from the early 80s, or perhaps anything from even before that era, they're probably not going to know nor care about what I'm referring to. But quite honestly, I find new music is very processed and annoying sounding. I find modern horror movies for example are too graphic for the hell of it, and while they aren't always necessarily terrible, they just don't do much for me.

The worst people I find are my fellow Resident Evil fans. They act really touchy if you speak up about particular games. I always try to disown the fourth game, as that's when the series went pretty stupid in my eyes. It's not even really a horror game either, and I see that game as being what one could label as the beginning of the end.

The whole idea is that you're a secret agent who is looking for a missing girl in Europe, and you can get all this ammo from the crazy villagers you eliminate. And it's very repetitive having to do this for hours, running through shacks and having to not run into tripwires. But that's basically all you do. Once you upgrade your weapons, it's a walk in the park. So I just don't think that highly of Resident Evil 4, or most of the mediocre sequels they've made since 2009 or whenever it was the games started to go downhill. The storylines are rather confusing overall. They also keep casting different actors to portray the characters, or they alter their race. This is probably because of that 'woke movement' nonsense.

It's certainly nothing like the old games where you had to traverse a house, a city or something, having to make do with what little stuff you could find. The games had scary vibes in the good old days, and the plot was easier to understand. But after that, everything became so convoluted. Then there's a sort of merchant you meet who has set up stalls for you to approach, and you trade treasure and money with him to get things like rocket launchers, and it's rather dumb. The game just doesn't boast of having any genuine atmosphere, even if it's still fun to play. But of course, these glazers online are just sheep. They think it's the best game ever made, when it essentially became known as a betrayal of the concept of the whole franchise. Because if you know anything about these games, you'll recall the games were about the Umbrella Corporation creating viruses, which ended up turning a research team into zombies, but you had puzzles to solve, and it was generally thrilling.

Unfortunately, like I said, youngsters are commericial poison. Companies always sell-out and make games so action oriented or cheesy, because they just want to go with whatever rakes in the profits. While I cannot blame them in a sense, it's still sad to see something you admire undergoing all these changes, just so they can appeal to a bigger audience. But as with everything, it is what it is.
    It's not strictly true that today's youngsters dismiss all older music and only listen to contemporary artists like Taylor Swift, etc. In fact, I don't think the current younger generation's tastes in music have ever been any more eclectic than they are now, especially as they can access pretty much any tune from any era online.

I recall being ridiculed back in the early 90s when I was a teenager for liking and listening to 'older' music that was considered uncool and old hat by then, especially artists like Phil Collins, while my younger brother and nearly all the other kids at school were listening to rave, hip hop, grunge and very early Britpop; a lot of which I struggled to gel with, plus I was often accused of 'living in the past' generally.

I seriously struggled to gel with and make sense of the 90s, let alone the 2020s and both decades in between.
    In fact, from around late 1988 onwards (when I was 11) things just never felt the same for me again after. Which obviously also coincided with the onset of adolescence/puberty, which is of course a turbulent time for most youngsters.

I think my adolescent transitional cycle finally ended around 1995 or so at the age of 18.

A lot of rock fans hail Genesis as the fathers of prog rock, but I'd say it's more so Jon Anderson-era Yes or King Crimson that should get the credit. Most of what Genesis released without Peter Gabriel just sounds syrupy and bland. You would be as well to just listen to Phil Collins on his own. There's not much of a difference with how it's made. Has the same kind of beat, and it's equally as cheesy anyway.

In fact, the guitarist in that group (Mike Rutherford) formed Mike and the Mechanics as a spin off project, that included Paul Carrack from the bands Ace and Squeeze as one of the two lead singers. At the time, Rutherford intended to make a solo album, but determined he was a crappy vocalist. I thought they were a lot better, to be honest. They even had a number-one with "The Living Years" and while Genesis had a chart-topper with "Invisible Touch" before that, I thought their earlier work was better.

Well, I won't get my Personal Independent Payment paid in until after 12 tonight. The only shops open will be the 24 hour Asdas, but I just hope it won't be lashing down with rain if I decide to go for a stroll.

By the way, my mum was buried with no marking. A gravestone would cost thousands. How much you wanna bet my sister would be fussing over who decides about that too? But now that I'm not speaking to her whatsoever, I'm on my own now.

I called Social Care Direct, and I've determined they're useless. They ask why you need support, you then tell them about things in an abbreviated way to deter any confusion, and their response sounds less than keen to be of assistance. Hence it's a waste of time.

I’m sorry for your loss I know what your going though my mother and sister passed away within 6 months of each other I was my mothers carer , then several months ago dad nearly passed away but he’s made a full recovery, I’m still suffering of a broken heart 💔 and I think it will always remain that way my heart goes out too you and best wishes god bless take care

I seen my older sister today. She showed me texts my younger sister sent, about a possible bone disease. But she also accused me of stealing 500 quid ages ago. Um?

She is definitely a little bit loopy. Just a bit.

hugs

Thanks for the support, people. *hugs you back*

That's a lot to take in Peter. I hope you're finding some peace during these difficult times

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

I haven't posted on here for a while, but my younger sister cut off my family other than my dad, since he lives with her.

She's seeing a therapist for her problems. But she lied months ago and claimed I took money, and a key. I never even go near her house, and I have no use for any keys. And she stopped talking to my older sister as well because she said she did nothing about my nephew being bullied at school.

It seems the NHS didn't diagnose her properly. It's not FND she has. My older sister told me her bones are weak. So this just shows she should have chased up these doctors, as they don't do anything unless you keep pressuring them.

I even called up social services to ask for help. They never got back to me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information