Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: derealisation/depersonlisation

derealisation/depersonlisation

Hi Guys,

Just a quick note - one of my most disturbing symptoms is derealisation/depersonlisation - which out of everything is for me the hardest to overcome, and generally comes on now and again - and out of all symptoms is the one that can seem to return the most.

I also find it is generally there is very little info about it, both from proffessionals and other sources, so i pretty much decided i was gonna have to live with it. Until that is the other day - I came across the most brilliant book called "The stranger in the mirror - dissociation the hidden epidemic" by Marlen Steinberg and Maxin Schnall. It's all about derealisation/depersonlisation - and expalins really clearly load s about it. The authors have conducted loads of research that shows derealisation/depersonlisation is really common in everyone - and is a normal stress reaction. But that in some it can happen easily and get stuck - going into the extremes of multiple personalities etc.

Basically it debunks something that i always had ie the niggling worry that it really was evidence that i was slowly going mad - and something that i really had trouble explaining. Not at all - daydreaming, losing yourself in a book or film, are all common signs of derealisation/depersonlisation that are normal and common - its just they get more and more extreme the more stressed and anxious you get - it's just your bodies defence mechanism protecting you against trauma.

it's great you can get it on Amazon - reassurance on tap!

Cheers

nikk

Hi nikk,

I must confess I know very little about this subject? Would you mind telling me more about it, what are the symptoms etc.?

Regards,

Blue
    --
    Take little steps and remember it is OK if your recovery is not a smooth one.

Thanks for the tip Nikk!!

Nikk we had someone specifically asking for help with this persistant DP recently so thanks for the recommendation.

Meg
    www.overcominganxiety.co.uk
    You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

Nikk

I will add it to my recommended book list as well.

Nicola

Nikk,

Thanks for the info. DP/DR are my worst symptoms and terrify me. I seem to be stuck with the feelings 24/7.

Nicola,

I really could do with this book. I will try through your list. Thanks very much.

If I could only understand these horrid feelings, maybe I could manage them.

Thanks again
    Jude x.

Thanks Nikk for the link

I get DP/DR and for me, they're harder to deal with than a full-blown PA, I really hate them.. I'm not sure I'll read the book, part of me thinks ignorance is bliss but I will bear it in mind!

Thanks again

J

Here is a link to the book on Amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...csmismatcofuse

If you buy it from this link I get 5% commission for the website funds.

Nicola

Hi Nicola,

Iv order it through your link, thanks.

Nikk,

Thanks again for the info. I just hope it doesnt scare the pants off me now[:P]

Jude x

Jude

Thanks very much - every little helps as they say.

Nicola

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information