Thread: Should your cervix be perfectly circular....

Should your cervix be perfectly circular....

Or just roughly that shape?

Sorry for the stupid question. I've no idea if it has always been this way as I don't think I've ever checked. However I randomly did so the other day and now I'm worried 😯

Mine seems to be an irregular shape along the right hand edge which sticks out like a lump, so I'm worried it could actually be a lump. I can't tell if the left side is the same as my cervix is very off-centre to the left and the left edge is right up against the vaginal wall so I can't get my fingers there.

I had a clear smear just 3 months ago and a transvaginal pelvic ultrasound just a week ago. It was done as my periods have got very wacky lately. I've a long history of fibroids & am also perimenopausal so they think it's probably a combination of both but wanted to check. I've not had the results of the scan yet but I believe the ultrasound would look at the cervix and spot any abnormality, right? So, if the scans ok I can relax?

Again, sorry for the weird question! Thanks.

Re: Should your cervix be perfectly circular....

Pretty sure mine's irregular, it also varies hugely according to where I am in my cycle.

Be careful about checking yourself, it's one of my bad panic habits and I tend to get careless, make myself bleed and then spiral.

May I ask about your wacky periods? In peri and very much struggling with what's normal right now.

Edit: also nabothian cysts are a thing, they're harmless and feel like smooth round bumps.

Thank you. Yes, I made myself bleed so trying to leave well alone now. Regarding periods, a couple of years ago they got ridiculously heavy and closer together, sometimes less than 3 weeks. I had a scan then which showed the fibroids I'd had for years and had two ops to control were growing back again. I had a third op after which the periods were much lighter and, after a while, started getting further apart. For nearly a year I was having a light period every 5 weeks or so and was hopeful the end was in sight. Then in August I had an 18 day cycle. Next month I started spotting again on day 18 but no period for over a month, then had 3 more short cycles in a row. The most recent one was only 16 days and I bled for a month (not heavy, but blood everyday). Scan is to see if fibroids have grown back or something else is going on, although liklihood is it's just peri accordingto my GP. Not bled for over 2 weeks now, fingers crossed. Scared waiting for results but presume they would've called by now if something bad.

You are a HERO. I've had a few days of pale pink spotting at the end of my period and I was freaking out.

Just checked again (I know!) and it's definitely a firm, round, smooth bump, like a small pea, so fits description of nabothian cyst. Presume it would show up on the ultrasound? Will mention it if they don't I guess. Surprised it wasn't mentioned when doing the smear but maybe it wasn't there then? Now I've found it, need to know what it is!

They're usually insignificant enough that they don't get mentioned; I'm 99% sure I have one or two that were present and went unmentioned during my last smear.

How do you know you have them Blueiris? Did you feel them? Really wish I hadn't checked down there (never have before and I unsure why I did!) so I'd be none the wiser!

I did, I have self-checking issues.

Ah ha! I'm really hoping it's mentioned on the ultrasound report so I don't have to admit to the GP that I'd checked (I know it's not recommended like checking breasts etc)

Thread Information