Thread: Do I have ptsd

Do I have ptsd

Can the fear of a frightening illness returning be classed as ptsd?

Re: Do I have ptsd

I guess any type of panic disorder can be classed as PTSD. What happens, is that you experience some form of fear which then registers in the primitive part of the brain as a threat. And because that part of the brain works more on conditioning than reasoning, the unpleasant experience tends to stay in it's memory until it is resolved in some way. Convincing this part of the brain that it is not a real threat, and it should just forget about it, is not easy. If it where that easy, then there would be no need for message boards like this one. The only sure way to recondition such memories, is to go through the experience with a more positive outcome.

Tom

Thanks Tom,
    That's what I figured and makes sense why I'm finding it hard to return to work as it's where my most frightening illness began due to the stress I was under.
    Cheers
    Decca

Anything that has upset you terribly can return as PTSD. Be it an event, an accident, illness, something you witnessed etc... also remember two people can see the same thing, one can get PTSD over it, the other forgets it.
    If your work was where your illness started then yes returning to work will remind your brain of it, and start the panics.
    Its really hard to break the cycle, but somehow you must convince yourself that the illness would have come wherever you were at the time, and that work should hold no fear. Easier said than done I know. Maybe return to work part time for a while, see how long you can stick it out for?

I have been pondering this question since it was posted. And I think (please dont take this the wrong way) the key is the title... Post Traumatic Stress... If the event was traumatic for you, then yes I suppose you could have PTSD from an illness. Having just a fear, and fear alone does not equal ptsd, I think that would be classed as a health anxiety.

I found a good website the other day which outlines the basic critera to be classed as PTSD. http://http://www.phobics-society.or...ition_ptsd.php

I would more then reccomend seeing your gp. PTSD can affect your life considerably, and the sooner you receive help the better.

Take care,

Lea
    x

Thanks everyone for your replies.
    Just to update - My employer has arranged some councelling therapy which i will be starting shortly , so it should hopefully get me over my fears.
    On the other hand, taking consideration of my health problems , Eczema,Asthma,Angina and atherschlerosis ( ? spelling) and now general anxiety ,do I take this opportunity to retire early rather than run the risk of returning to an acknowledged stressfull job and being ill again ?.
    I'm 61 years old and have a small pension that I could claim but it would have to be topped up by the State with Pension Credit Guarantee to make ends meet whilst still paying off my mortgage which runs for another 3 years.
    If I did retire things would be really tight in comparison but I feel I would be free of the thing that's gradually been making me ill over the past 6 years.
    What would you do ?
    Sorry for spilling this lot out online.
    Decca

Thread Information