Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Not sure how to Cope with The Israel/Palestinian War

Re: Not sure how to Cope with The Israel/Palestinian War

I guess at the end of the day it's just your one colleague's personal matter of opinion. It's important to remember opinions of just one individual aren't necessarily facts, plus some people often seem to revel in drama.

Also beware of misinformation and 'fake news', of which there's plenty of online concerning both the thing with Russia and Ukraine, and also of course the situation in the Middle East.

And I know it's a fine line between balancing your colleague's freedom of expression and others respecting your anxiety triggers which can all be futile in its own right.

ETA; The main news headline here in Blighty right now seems to be about the Post Office scandal, which was the predominant article on the front pages of yesterday's national papers and is still the foremost topic on Sky News this morning, so 'Armageddon' is hardly imminent right now, otherwise that would obviously be the foremost topic.
    Last edited by Lencoboy; 11-01-24 at 11:20.

Thanks again,

Unfortunately, I can't stop the radio being on at work.

We are indeed at war. We've joined America to support Ukraine and have already launched missiles.

Check the news. We are here. It was inevitable. I need to be with my family, not here at work right now.

This is bloody depressing.

Thanks again,

We are indeed at war. We've joined America to support Ukraine and have already launched missiles in the red sea. I can't believe it. I'm so afraid of being bombed.

Check the news. We are here. It was inevitable. I need to be with my family, not here at work right now.

I'm a mess about this and I apologise if going on too much

But we're not directly at war though, as having sent our troops to fight in Ukraine, Russia, etc, like we did to Iraq in 2003.

As for your comment about 'check the news, we are here'; remember there are various different news outlets out there all with their own specific agendas on all matter of issues; some of which are exaggerated, or even full-on fabrication/ lies. And I know full well we can never say never to anything either.

Heck, even Covid still in the meantime remains a far more immediate risk to us here in Blighty than a direct attack by either Russians or Israelis/Palestinians, and our media right now are hardly putting the fear of God into us over it 24/7 anymore like they were in 2020-21.

Also I often wonder in retrospect how many of us coped back in the 70s and 80s with the threat of the last Cold War, and also with the constant threat of the IRA, as my keyworker at my day centre said the other day regarding the latter that not only did they conduct actual attacks on the British mainland during their heyday of the 70s, 80s and much of the 90s, but he also added that he seemed to remember at times there being bomb scares up and down the country virtually every other week; sometimes even in 'lesser' towns, let alone our major cities. Even when and where there were sightings of vehicles with Irish number plates.

So in a nutshell, 'twas ever thus' in many ways regarding potential warfare/terror threats, in spite of the fact that the Internet and 24/7 rolling news channels/ outlets didn't really become mainstream in this country until the end of the 90s at the very earliest, plus social media didn't really start appearing until around the mid 2000s at the earliest and in turn didn't really become mainstream until the early 2010s; all of which can amplify various issues around the world all the more.

Hello Lencoboy,

I wholeheartedly appreciate your perspective, rationale and balance when it comes to these issues.

I really needed it. Even if it helps me get through today.

You're right. I'm not sure how old you are, but I'm gen X and I remember the threat of nuclear war in the 80s it was scary, but nothing materialised, oh, and the IRA threats. I was a child.

I always look forward to your responses. They've helped a lot. Well until I scare myself again!

Thanks you
    Last edited by loonarider77; 12-01-24 at 11:19.

Quote Originally Posted by loonarider77 View Post
    Hello Lencoboy,

I wholeheartedly appreciate your perspective, rationale and balance when it comes to these issues.

I really needed it. Even if it helps me get through today.

You're right. I'm not sure how old you are, but I'm gen X and I remember the threat of nuclear war in the 80s it was scary, but nothing materialised, oh, and the IRA threats. I was a child.

I always look forward to your responses. They've helped a lot. Well until I scare myself again!

Thanks you
    Going by your username, I presume you were born in 1977, which is the same year I was born.

So if that's the case we're both part of the same generation.

Like I said in my previous post in this thread, we didn't really have the Internet and 24/7 rolling news with instantaneous info until around the late 90s, nor did we really have social media until the latter half of the 2000s at the earliest, and mainly just news bulletins on TV at set times throughout the day so we weren't constantly bombarded with stuff day in day out like we are today (sometimes less is really more).

I also suggest you take a look at this site: www.debunkingdoomsday.quora.com

Quote Originally Posted by loonarider77 View Post
    Thanks again,

We are indeed at war. We've joined America to support Ukraine and have already launched missiles.

We've launched missiles against Houthis rebels is Yemen who are attacking civilian ships. Before this we had ships patrolling waters just like this to keep civilians safe from pirates.

The connection is they are Iranian backed, like so many terrorist groups. We have to retaliate to our citizens being targeted otherwise they will attack them even more. Basically shoving them back in their box or reminding them of their place.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post

And I know it's a fine line between balancing your colleague's freedom of expression and others respecting your anxiety triggers which can all be futile in its own right.
    Not a freedom we enjoy at work, Lenco. Sometimes managers have to tell people to shut up

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Not a freedom we enjoy at work, Lenco. Sometimes managers have to tell people to shut up
    Well good on them, especially if they're being OTT drama queens.

And don't get me wrong; I'm not in any way trivialising these awful events currently going on in the world, and the thought of full-on wars and the like has always filled me with dread, but like you have admitted yourself in various other threads on such matters over recent years, I try to rationalise such situations as best I can nowadays and have learned not to always take everything at face value, nor think in 'black and white'.

Plus I believe there are many who often like to jump to conclusions and exaggerate about various issues, especially in the absence of concrete evidence. Always have, always will.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information