Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Not sure how to Cope with The Israel/Palestinian War

Re: Not sure how to Cope with The Israel/Palestinian War

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    Well good on them, especially if they're being OTT drama queens.

And don't get me wrong; I'm not in any way trivialising these awful events currently going on in the world, and the thought of full-on wars and the like has always filled me with dread, but like you have admitted yourself in various other threads on such matters over recent years, I try to rationalise such situations as best I can nowadays and have learned not to always take everything at face value, nor think in 'black and white'.

Plus I believe there are many who often like to jump to conclusions and exaggerate about various issues, especially in the absence of concrete evidence. Always have, always will.
    Contracts have codes of conduct. Some people can have very strong views that may be offensive to others and some topics can impact on victims we don't know work with us.

You still get your freedom to express yourself but it comes with a rollicking or disciplinary afterwards.

You leave it at the door and get on with the work you are paid for but we are human and things happen.

I can understand the OP struggling with it and how to cope without causing a fiery person from reacting quite typically with more animated debate. I guess they can only be polite and explain how they find such discussion difficult. Hopefully the other person realises it is upsetting and avoids discussion in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Contracts have codes of conduct. Some people can have very strong views that may be offensive to others and some topics can impact on victims we don't know work with us.

You still get your freedom to express yourself but it comes with a rollicking or disciplinary afterwards.

You leave it at the door and get on with the work you are paid for but we are human and things happen.

I can understand the OP struggling with it and how to cope without causing a fiery person from reacting quite typically with more animated debate. I guess they can only be polite and explain how they find such discussion difficult. Hopefully the other person realises it is upsetting and avoids discussion in the future.
    I guess it will always be something of a grey area. A bit like 'to swear or not to swear' and particularly prior to 2007 'to smoke or not to smoke' in workplace environments, where some have been more permissive and laid back than others who were/are more restrictive, obviously depending on the general nature and context of each individual workplace concerned.

E.g, certain 'banter'-like behaviours from workers that might be OK in/on say, a factory floor, garage workshop, building site, in the forces, etc, may not be appropriate by staff working in schools, day centres, hospitals, etc, especially within eye/earshot of pupils, clients and patients.

Hi Lencoboy,

I told you it wouldn't last long, my calm.

So been putting my head down. Radio blurts out that we MUST get mentally ready for war.

Let's not beat around the bush, it's happening!

Aside from that have checking your doomsday debunking link and it's great. May have to go over there.

But why does the news do this! I.feel so sad for people like us who.suffer with anxiety and la ic disorder :(

Apparently the public will be addressed tonight. This is scary. Is there any point me even going back to work? Just stay home and drink or something until numb

War, war, war, war, war ..sick and tired of hearing about it. Can't avoid it, makes me not want to even leave the house some days.
    .I just need the strength to ignore it and carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by loonarider77 View Post
    Hi Lencoboy,

I told you it wouldn't last long, my calm.

So been putting my head down. Radio blurts out that we MUST get mentally ready for war.

Let's not beat around the bush, it's happening!

Aside from that have checking your doomsday debunking link and it's great. May have to go over there.

But why does the news do this! I.feel so sad for people like us who.suffer with anxiety and la ic disorder :(
    I saw a bit of it on Sky News with my dad, but he (my dad) reckons most of it is hypothetical 'whatiffery' especially ahead of the UK's forthcoming General Election, and it largely centres on the fact that the UK armed forces have been cut to the bone over the past decade or so in reference to the conscription stuff, which my dad also reckons is currently being milked for political reasons domestically.

They didn't specifically state that a world war is definitely imminent though, nor did they actually say that Brits are getting called up to fight in Russia nor the Middle East. Plus remember the media (and certain politicians) like to keep us scared; often for their own gains.

After all, they can't really keep telling us that we're all gonna die of Covid any longer, so they have to look for other scary stuff to put the fear of God into us over, real or imagined.

Also check out www.debunkingdoomsday.quora.com once again, as Robert has posted an interesting article on this current topic.
    Last edited by Lencoboy; 24-01-24 at 19:22.

War, war, war, war, war ..sick and tired of hearing about it. Can't avoid it, makes me not want to even leave the house some days.
    .I just need the strength to ignore it and carry on.
    Just remember, you're probably far more likely to get run over by a bus or end up in a car crash than get caught up in a war.

Thank you so much Lencoboy. I always appreciate your insight (or your dad's for that matter LOL). I dread to think of all the men going off to war whether voluntarily or not.

I'd imagine if it did come to the there'd be some major protests here!

Thank you so much Lencoboy. I always appreciate your insight (or your dad's for that matter LOL). I dread to think of all the men going off to war whether voluntarily or not.

I'd imagine if it did come to the there'd be some major protests here!
    Yes, there probably would be major protests here if conscription was considered, no doubt akin to those during the run-up to the second Gulf War in 2003 and the Poll Tax 13 years earlier, which probably might not be such a bad thing considering many of us Brits have seemingly become more complacent and blasé about many political issues in general over the past decade or more, but provided it doesn't turn into full-on destructive rioting and the like (a la August 2011).

Mind you, it's merely all talk and no doubt political football/pre-election point-scoring, at least in the meantime.

Yes.

I was on the debunking doomsday forum. Private messages Dr Robert. He said NATO forces are pretty strong against Russia, unless there was a "surprise attack" at the borders and foot shoulders enter UK. Not sure what he means by that, how likely is a surprise attack??

It's all very real. Trying to get on with my day at work. Our old CO worker hasn't uttered a word and now not sure whether that's a good or bad thing because he's always banging on about the threat of war.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information