Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Quitting amitryptiline diary

Quitting amitryptiline diary

So I’ll be quitting amitryptilline. My dr prescribed it as a migraine prophylactic, but it is also an antidepressant. I will try to post here daily. I’m on 10 mg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Quitting amitryptiline diary

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

So I think I’ll start tomorrow. Not ready for withdrawals yet

Quote Originally Posted by Piano View Post
    So I think I'll start tomorrow. Not ready for withdrawals yet
    Any withdrawal symptoms are likely to be mild as the TCAs are usually easier to quit than other ADs, plus 10mg is a small dose with most taking 100-150mg for anxiety disorders and/or depression.

Try not to dwell on potential symptoms as psychology is at least as important as chemistry when quitting a med. Anxious minds are very capable of creating our worst withdrawal nightmares if given the chance.

How long have you been taking it and are you on any other meds?

Thank you thank you thank you!!!

I have been on this drug since October, and it has done nothing for my migraines. I have actually had a daily headache since I started taking it.

I am on a lot of drugs. Lithium for bipolar disorder, prozac for depression/anxiety, lamictal for epilepsy and estrogen because of a hysterectomy. I’m a walking pharmacy LOL. I have quit both seroxat and prozac before, and seroxat was hell, especially the second time. And, I tried to quit amitriptyline once before, I cut the dose in half. It was awful, so I reinstated back to 10 mg.

Today I took my first reduced dose of 7.5 mg. So it will be interesting to see what tomorrow brings…

I'm a walking pharmacy LOL.
    I know the feeling.

I have quit both seroxat and prozac before, and seroxat was hell, especially the second time.
    Although those who've quit venlafaxine may disagree, with good reason, Seroxat (paroxetine) is generally the most difficult AD to wean off due to its short half-life and lack of an active metabolite to extend its activity. As with venlafaxine the best way to quit is to switch to the very long half-life fluoxetine (Prozac) and wean off it.

And, I tried to quit amitriptyline once before, I cut the dose in half. It was awful, so I reinstated back to 10 mg.
    That's surprising, especially because you're on Prozac which should overwhelm what little impact the small amitriptyline dose is having.

Today I took my first reduced dose of 7.5 mg. So it will be interesting to see what tomorrow brings
    Indeed.

Thank you so much for your support, it means a lot to me

Today I took my second 7.5 mg dose. Nothing has changed, I still have the headache I’ve had for a long time now. I suspect it actually may be a side effect from amitriptyline. No depression or anxiety, really happy about that!

Today I took my second 7.5 mg dose. Nothing has changed, I still have the headache I've had for a long time now.
    It takes a while for a dose reduction to have an effect so the amount of amitriptyline in your system won't have changed much after 48 hours, and that of its active metabolite, nortriptyline, even less so.

I suspect it actually may be a side effect from amitriptyline.
    Maybe, though I'm not so sure. Time will tell.

3rd 7.5 mg dose. Migraine the whole day. Muscle twiching on upper left side of face all afternoon. Other than that I am content. No thoughts about reinstatement, and no anxiety or depression. Since I’m bipolar I’m probably more vulnerable to med changes. So far so good!

Quitting amitryptiline diary

4th 7.5 mg dose.

Bad migraine, a little better in the afternoon. Pain in muscles. Don’t know if this is withdrawals or the actual disease. Wish I knew. If this migraine is not caused by withdrawals I would just quit cold turkey.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information