Thread: Panic attacks causing agoraphobia, agoraphobia causing panic attacks. Vicious cycle

Panic attacks causing agoraphobia, agoraphobia causing panic attacks. Vicious cycle

It all started with a random panic attack in the car (I was the passenger). We got stuck at traffic lights and then a small traffic jam. The car started spinning, I was sweating, I felt sick, I felt like the car was getting smaller and I had the urge to run to the nearest doctor or hospital (not that I could though, being stuck in traffic). We got home 10 mins later and it peaked and I tried to stand up and get out the car but I was so dizzy and felt like I was going to faint but I didn't actually fall or faint but felt so close to. This was the worst panic attack I'd had in years and happened last month. I've had a few since but not as bad as that but some haven't been far off

Shops, town and supermarkets seem to be a big thing for me. When I walk further into a shop or further down a street, I feel like the aisle/street gets longer and is never ending. Almost like a dolly zoom effect on a camera if you know what I mean. Sometimes I feel like I physically can't walk down certain aisles or I will faint, the dizziness is really bad. In general as well, I feel sick, out of my body, heart pounding and the need to run yet I can barely walk for how weak my legs feel. The closer I get to an exit or somewhere I can avoid people like a lane on a street, it gets better but doesn't go away completely until I get back to a safe place like my car or home and even then I don't feel fully better for hours.

The feeling of being trapped and not being able to get home quick is horrible, it's the worst of all. I can't describe the feeling and how vulnerable it makes me feel. It really feels like life or death. Another fear is walking over bridges and standing at traffic lights. I feel like I will collapse, run onto the road in desperation or grab a stranger and plead for them to call me an ambulance or for them to take me home.

Just feel so fed up and like I'm back at square one. Can anyone relate?

Take care xxx

"Save your sympathy for someone else. I don't need it or want it. What you call a panic attack is merely a few normal chemicals that are temporarily out of place in my brain. It is of no significance whatsoever to me!"

"Recovery always lies ahead - however painful the moment"

"Recovery lies in the places and experiences you avoid"

Dr Claire Weekes.

Re: Panic attacks causing agoraphobia, agoraphobia causing panic attacks. Vicious cyc

GingerFish,

I know it's horrible and scary but the answer is in your writing at the bottom of your page in the form of quotes by Claire Weekes. In my opinion you can't get any better information than what she provides. Maybe re-read her book, listen to her videos.

Re: Panic attacks causing agoraphobia, agoraphobia causing panic attacks. Vicious cyc

hi all im new again on here, i have had agoraphobia for 30 years and suffer from panic attack,

Quote Originally Posted by tina oreilly1 View Post
    hi all im new again on here, i have had agoraphobia for 30 years and suffer from panic attack,
    Hey Tina. I recognize that name. Do you know PJ and Gary?

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Thread Information