Thread: My Wife's post covid ear and throat issues...worried it is something worse

My Wife's post covid ear and throat issues...worried it is something worse

I have found over the years, I am able to dispel health anxiety for myself pretty well. But with those I love, it still hits me hard, and sends me reeling.

My wife had her first round of covid. She got sick on December 27 and tested positive. She took paxlovid, it was by no means pleasant, but she came through it well enough. She does have a lingering cough, especially at night, which I know can also be normal, even for months.

More unsettling to me, of course, is that two full weeks after covid, is she began to experience right sided pain when swallowing, along with pretty severe ear pain and the glands on that side of her neck were swollen.

She went to urgent care, they saw no visible sign of an ear infection or throat issues. Tested negative for strep, flu and covid. They were doing mandatory tests for all three.

The doctor said it was probably an infection, and sent her on her way with an antibiotic zpack. Sadly, the zpack did nothing, and she is about like she was before the antibiotic.

I really, really thought I could be helpful and google this safely, because I presumed it was covid related, and I was not really worried about it.

But over and over and over again, her symptoms lined up with throat cancer. One sided ear pain, pain swallowing, the swollen glands, the not clearing from antibiotics and so on.

Now I have spun myself into a deep spiral, the old catastrophic thinking coming back in force. I am reasonably disgusted with myself for falling back into old habits, but now I am in a full spiral, pretty much having assured myself that my wife's throat and ear pain are the result of cancer.

Is there anyone out there who dealt with symptoms like this in the wake of their own covid infection?

Re: My Wife's post covid ear and throat issues...worried it is something worse

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Perfect, thanks for the headsup!

Read my post. I had these symptoms! This is crazy that I'm reading somebody else is dealing with the exact same thing I was. I thought it was Cancer too (stupid anxiety!). I still have lingering throat issues and today marks a whole month since I got ill. My ex is far worse than I.

It's not Cancer. It's this stupid illness. Honestly. I know so many people affected by this, but I see nothing in the media regarding this. I'm thankful there's people here, and on Reddit, who are experiencing the exact same thing. It gives us all hope that we're not going mad and it's just this illness.

She's just got to ride it out. It will improve but it's going to be slow.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post

It's not Cancer. It's this stupid illness. Honestly. I know so many people affected by this, but I see nothing in the media regarding this. I'm thankful there's people here, and on Reddit, who are experiencing the exact same thing. It gives us all hope that we're not going mad and it's just this illness.
    I know what you're saying, but then again I guess the media can only really report on certain topics for so long, unless any major new developments occur concerning the given topic.

Funny also how Covid has mostly gone from being a major global public health emergency 3 years ago what with mass hospitalisations, deaths, lockdowns, social distancing and general restrictions galore (still even with the initial vaccines) to being just a mere nuisance for most of those affected now, even though I know there's still the odd exceptions.

I don’t have this exactly, but I did have lingering ear issues after my last Covid bout. I still get dizziness sometimes almost 9 months later. My doctor diagnosed me with benign positional vertigo. I didn’t have this probably at all before my second time with Covid. I think it’s all inflammation related.

Thread Information