Thread: How to unlearn a nervous tic?

How to unlearn a nervous tic?

I'm driving myself crazy and I thought I would just come here and ask if anyone has any experience with unlearning a nervous tic?
    In recent years, I noticed I chew my tongue constantly!!! Whenever I'm doing anything that requires the slightest bit of concentration, I chew it. And it drives me nuts when I notice it! Unfortunately it's so automatic that i often don't notice it. But it puts so much tension in my jaw, that it's causing me tinnitus, stress headaches, eye strain.
    I would really love to stop doing this! I just can't find a way to do it, because I don't notice I'm doing it 90% of the time.

Re: How to unlearn a nervous tic?

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkling_Fairy View Post
    I'm driving myself crazy and I thought I would just come here and ask if anyone has any experience with unlearning a nervous tic?
    In recent years, I noticed I chew my tongue constantly!!! Whenever I'm doing anything that requires the slightest bit of concentration, I chew it. And it drives me nuts when I notice it! Unfortunately it's so automatic that i often don't notice it. But it puts so much tension in my jaw, that it's causing me tinnitus, stress headaches, eye strain.
    I would really love to stop doing this! I just can't find a way to do it, because I don't notice I'm doing it 90% of the time.
    I have a habit of grinding my teeth so I can relate to your concerns.

I read your post and it reminded me of when I had a habit of moving my tongue around when I used to draw. It was only when my o/h kept pointing out to me that I stopped doing it. And I'd been doing it for yonks. So maybe being aware of the action before you do something that needs total concentration might help. Or have a drink by your side when you are doing a certain task. x

Thanks both!
    My mum suggested using chewing gum, 'cause if I'm chewing that I can't chew my tongue. So I might try that as long as it doesn't keep my jaw tensed for too long.

I have the same problem, but mine is picking at the cuticle on my left thumb. It causes my nail to be all indented and messed up. It’s so common they actually named it the habit tic deformity! I just mindlessly do it with the pointer finger if the same hand. I definitely started doing it at the start of Covid and I’ve never been able to break the habit! People suggest covering the cuticle with crazy glue, but that would just be even more pickable!

Thread Information