Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going back to basic phones is great!

Going back to basic phones is great!

I've never got along with smart phones. The apps seem thin compared to PC/laptop counterparts. I don't have any use for one, and when I have a smartphone I end up scrolling endlessly on useless things. I'm quite sick of the "feed" mentality.

I was looking for a dumbphone to replace my Samsung. And I settled on the 6310i. It runs on 2G, which is ok until 2033. I don't believe 2G will ever be completely shut off because it's required by emergency services such as mountain rescue. But if it does, I've still got a good 8 years with it.

I've tested it and had a few calls. Works great. No issues with sound quality.

111.jpg

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Re: Going back to basic phones is great!

I tend to agree. I don’t know why we have to be ‘connected’ everywhere we go. Use a phone for phone calls. No contracts.

Ive still got my Nokia 3310. I’ve seen them in the shops still. Can you still get top ups on them?

Ghost…Spillways

I'm quite happy with my android phone.
    It covers all of my needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Darksky View Post
    I tend to agree. I don’t know why we have to be ‘connected’ everywhere we go. Use a phone for phone calls. No contracts.

Ive still got my Nokia 3310. I’ve seen them in the shops still. Can you still get top ups on them?
    It's an uncomfortable feeling being connected and notified all the time. Makes me feel like I'm under stress to read it, and reply.

3310's are great! One of my first phones as a kid.

Yeah you can put any simcard in it so long as the network has 2G support. All networks in the UK do, except 3 (3 meant 3G, the company were the first to offer it when the first smart phones came out they never implemented 2G). In 2033 the hardware for 2G will be removed and it'll probably only exist for private companies who need it and can pay for the hardware. But for most folks it'll be dead. At that point all these old phones will be useless.

2G is longer ranger, and lower power when compared to 4G and 5G.

It's also a security problem. Easy to wire tap a 2G call with cheap hardware. Not possible on 4G or 5G without a Stingray (super expensive devices).

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

I've still got my Nokia 3310 as well, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Darksky View Post
    Seconded.

They can be a bit of an intrusion into our lives on occasions, especially when we're bombarded with endless 'pings' and 'da-donks' day in day out.

Some people even subscribe to news alerts on their phones from the likes of the BBC, Sky News, etc, which would drive me absolutely potty if it was my phone and I had no choice as to whether or not to receive said 'alerts', but luckily I do.

I know I'm going off on a bit of a tangent here, but another similar thing that's really got on my wick since probably around the mid 2000s is that it seems to have become de rigueur for many public places to have either the BBC News or Sky News channels showing on screens; even many ordinary pubs have now jumped on said bandwagon.

I mean, seriously, who really wants to go to pubs or into various other public places specifically to watch the news (or TV in general) which people can do at home any time?

It just detracts from the whole experience IMO, plus I personally find it anti-social.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    Seconded.

They can be a bit of an intrusion into our lives on occasions, especially when we're bombarded with endless 'pings' and 'da-donks' day in day out.

Some people even subscribe to news alerts on their phones from the likes of the BBC, Sky News, etc, which would drive me absolutely potty if it was my phone and I had no choice as to whether or not to receive said 'alerts', but luckily I do.

I know I'm going off on a bit of a tangent here, but another similar thing that's really got on my wick since probably around the mid 2000s is that it seems to have become de rigueur for many public places to have either the BBC News or Sky News channels showing on screens; even many ordinary pubs have now jumped on said bandwagon.

I mean, seriously, who really wants to go to pubs or into various other public places specifically to watch the news (or TV in general) which people can do at home any time?

It just detracts from the whole experience IMO, plus I personally find it anti-social.
    Agreed Lenco. I feel like relaxing at the pub with family or a good friend with a meal is lost on the newer generation. There's something idyllic when you're sat in a nice old pub in the middle of nowhere, sipping a drink, having a cat and a bit of food. It's not about the beer, although a nice pint lightens the air. It's the company, and the atmosphere.

I love nice little pubs on the river, or canal. There's a nice one in Solihull on the canal.

☪️️

Quote Originally Posted by Carnation View Post
    I've still got my Nokia 3310 as well, lol.
    Great phone to keep for emergencies. Battery on them lasts a while. I plan to do some hiking in the summer, if my wonky brain permits it . And I'll definitely take a cheap backup phone. Some people keep one in the glove box. You pretty much have to if you live somewhere like the Dales. It can be fatal up there in the winter if you break down.

☪️️

Mobile phones were originally for emergency situations only. If only we had a crystal ball in to the future.

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    Agreed Lenco. I feel like relaxing at the pub with family or a good friend with a meal is lost on the newer generation. There's something idyllic when you're sat in a nice old pub in the middle of nowhere, sipping a drink, having a cat and a bit of food. It's not about the beer, although a nice pint lightens the air. It's the company, and the atmosphere.

I love nice little pubs on the river, or canal. There's a nice one in Solihull on the canal.
    I don't think the news channels on pub TVs is necessarily desire of the younger generation; it seems to be something that pub staff of pretty much all ages assume they're expected to do 'by default' these days.

Let's face it, there's no official 'legislation' compulsory by law that warrants it, but do we really all want to be bombarded with all the horrible things going on in the world shoved into our faces when places like pubs should ultimately serve to be some kind of 'escape' from all the humdrum and mundane of ordinary everyday life, rather than serve to be just another 'extension' (and 'reminder') of it, coupled with even further unnecessary sensory overload?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information